advertisement

What's everyone's least favourite Beatles track?

I liked the first two albums. Stones too. The rest are associated with teenage parties which I would rather forget. Kinks, Animals, Hollies, Yardbirds, Cream. Who and Them were good live. I never heard the Beatles live.

Hmm, least favorite? Normally I'd list some bit of Paul's insipid granny music, but I'm more offended by "Dr. Robert" and "The Word" just because they're both so very ordinary. And yet there are good moments in both.

I am too young but my sisters that were 10 years older used to listen repeatedly to Revolution and Paper back writer. The side effects of this daily treatment when I was 5 year old helped turn me into a huge rock fan, mostly 70’s rock for me.

Why does everyone say this? Surely dark themes of serial murder and implications of psychopathy over an impossibly catchy tune makes it far from their dullest output (ie all that twee 'I love you, you love me...' bollocks on the early albums).

As I said up thread it's all tune and little to do with lyrics for me.

Yellow Submarine is the correct answer here

Title track for possibly the worst album ever. A handful of previously released tracks everyone already had, a couple of new duffers (yes, before you ask that does include 'Only A Northern Song') and an entire side of piss take instrumentals not even written by the Beatles as I understand it. All thrown together as a sound track to one of the most boring and pointless films of all time. A scam beginning to end.

Title track for possibly the worst album ever. A handful of previously released tracks everyone already had, a couple of new duffers (yes, before you ask that does include 'Only A Northern Song') and an entire side of piss take instrumentals not even written by the Beatles as I understand it. All thrown together as a sound track to one of the most boring and pointless films of all time. A scam beginning to end.
I love the film, it is inventive, beautiful and even now, surprising. It is recognised as an important high point in the animation world. From Wikipedia:
The film received widespread acclaim from critics and audiences alike, in contrast to the Beatles' previous film venture Magical Mystery Tour. Pixarco-founder and former chief creative officer John Lasseter has credited the film with bringing more interest in animation as a serious art form.[6]Time commented that it "turned into a smash hit, delighting adolescents and aesthetes alike".[7] Half a century after its release, it is still regarded as a landmark of animation.
The music works within the film - brilliantly IMHO, I particularly like Eleanor Rigby and Hey Bulldog - and a soundtrack album should surely do what it says on the tin.

All thrown together as a sound track to one of the most boring and pointless films of all time.

I like the film. I realise it had little to do with The Beatles, but it stands as a great bit of late-60s LSD soaked pop art.

PS As a bit of pointless trivia there is a chance some of George Martin’s instrumental guff might have been recorded via my Lockwood cabs as apparently some of it was done at CTS Studios, and as far as I can tell they’d have been there at that time.

Why does everyone say this? Surely dark themes of serial murder and implications of psychopathy over an impossibly catchy tune makes it far from their dullest output (ie all that twee 'I love you, you love me...' bollocks on the early albums).
I feel the same - also, using three syllable rhymes makes it more interesting.

Mick

Least favourite means not too bad for me.
There’s the word favourite.
What’s the Beatles’ song you really hate would have been a better thread title, wouldn’t it?
Then: none, probably.

What a Philistine! Its strange that when Yellow Submarine (the single) came out I was like the majority and hated it. It was not until I heard it on a good sound system (my old Dansette did not cut the mustard!) that I realised just how good this is. As for the soundtrack album it contains one of my all time favourite Beatle tracks - George Harrisons 'Its all too much' fair superior to John's crapy 'I want you" IMHO. As for the film is an excellent cartoon.

I have this version of The Beatles - Yellow Submarine DvD (1999) 'widescreen'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UGPP9GY/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

The second film I played to the g-kids, the first being The Jungle Book (original disney animation)

My kids were also raised on Yellow Submarine from a young age. All the kids and g-kids get freaked out by Blue Meanies, and love The Beatles. Job done :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back