advertisement

What's everyone's least favourite Beatles track?

Sgt Pepper's has some of my favourite Beatles songs on it, but I can't stand the title track.

How strange ‘taste’ is, I think that’s a great track, you can’t really call it a song I suppose, it’s too short, but musically Ilike it and it serves as a perfect intro(/outro)
I’m a big fan but they have put out their fair share of duff tracks it must be said, can’t really single just one out.
Some of Paul’s ballads get on my t!ts and his bouncy novelty numbers too, but he was the best rocker in the band by a mile.

Revolution 9 is one of those things that attract music theorists, but (and I’d put good money on this) few listeners. It’d be interesting to see the metrics of those who claim to listen to it. It’s perhaps the only Beatles’ effort without any endearing qualities, and far more a novelty indulgence than any of the kiddie songs/music hall efforts that normally attract opprobrium.

On the other hand, a Beatles’ song I’ve found increasingly interesting over time, though I never rated it as a kid, is Love Me Do. Sonically, that slow, raw, stripped-down performance now sounds audacious. And few things summon the English provinces like a cheap harmonica. Interestingly, that same harmonica sound would be hauled out a decade later by Bowie on Jean Genie (and for the same reason, I suspect); then, a further decade on, by The Smiths for Hand in Glove. I’m surprised no pop sleuth has ever made the connection.

Revolution 9 is one of those things that attract music theorists, but (and I’d put good money on this) few listeners. It’d be interesting to see the metrics of those who claim to listen to it. It’s perhaps the only Beatles’ effort without any endearing qualities, and far more a novelty indulgence than any of the kiddie songs/music hall efforts that normally attract opprobrium.

On the other hand, a Beatles’ song I’ve found increasingly interesting over time, though I never rated it as a kid, is Love Me Do. Sonically, that slow, raw, stripped-down performance now sounds audacious. And few things summon the English provinces like a cheap harmonica. Interestingly, that same harmonica sound would be hauled out a decade later by Bowie on Jean Genie (and for the same reason, I suspect); then, a further decade on, by The Smiths for Hand in Glove. I’m surprised no pop sleuth has ever made the connection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_in_Glove#Composition_and_lyrics

Well connected, but you are not the first, although the Wiki/Ian McDonald link is solely for Love Me Do => Hand in Glove, where the harmonica lines are more similar. There is less similarity with the harmonica in Bowie's song.

I always used to skip revolution 9 until I got into descent hifi, now the white album is pretty much the only beatles album I'll play and quite often I'll skip back to hear it twice over.

There are plenty of tracks I don't like individually; her majesty and good night being good examples, but as an album are important and part of the story.

I dislike most Beatles now. I think I’ve just heard it so much.Not denying the clear talent of the group.

I suppose I've got Beatle Burn Out too. I don't dislike them, I've just had my fill. To give an idea how long it's been since I've voluntarily played Beatles music, I bought the Sgt. Pepper and White Album anniversary edition remixes when they came out, and both are still unplayed. So that makes it not since 2017.

advertisement

Back