advertisement

What's everyone's least favourite Beatles track?

IMHO, there's about an albums worth of waste in the White Album.

Hmmm, ok, lets keep Back In The USSR, Revolution, Glass Onion, Helter Skelter, While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Happiness Is A Warm Gun as side 1 and stretch Revolution No. 9 out to the whole of side 2 and skip the rest! <ducks, covers>

PS I’m a big fan of the Rutherford Chang ‘We Buy White Albums’ art project. I have the album (link) which is 100 often trashed copies overlaid on top of one another that gradually morphs into a Stockhausen/Metal Machine Music/John Cage-esq cacophony and is really rather wonderful. I visited the exhibition when it visited Liverpool.

Love the early stuff. Hard days night about the best album (singalong tastic to the point of sore throat!) and white album the patchiest. I guess "saccharine" is something I can forgive in music so long as the melody is good. OTOH something can be lyrically better than Keats, Wordsworth and Dylan but if it's repetitive and all thump thump thump and has 2 chords I will hate it. eg one that just came to mind cos it was on radio today is Sinnerman by Nina Simone.... far too repetitive and nowt much going on musically... but I love her interpretations of a lot of American Songbook stuff...

I’m a big fan of the Rutherford Chang ‘We Buy White Albums’ art project. I have the album (link) which is 100 often trashed copies overlaid on top of one another that gradually morphs into a Stockhausen/Metal Machine Music/John Cage-esq cacophony and is really rather wonderful. I visited the exhibition when it visited Liverpool.

Sounds like my kind of record Tony, trouble is you have to pay £100 for a copy these days!

I see Rubber Soul as a huge transitional album, but prefer Revolver. That and Abbey Road are my two favourites.

When the White Album was released I didn’t ‘get’ Revolution Number 9, but now I love it.

Least favourite song? I can’t think of one. I was 6 when they released their first single, so I grew up with them.

Sounds like my kind of record Tony, trouble is you have to pay £100 for a copy these days!

You can hear the whole of side one here on Dust & Grooves. The way it just gradually decays over time into a strangely familiar ambience really is wonderful. I guess McCartney must have liked/appreciated it as I don’t think there has been any issue with copyright infringement etc.

PS The exhibition was wonderful, he has them all in record shop racks in numerical order, plus a load mounted in a display on the wall. There was a ‘staff picks’ stand which was the one playing. You could also request any other copy be played.

As Stunsworth says above, I was 6 in 1963 and I had my bedroom walls covered with pictures of the Fab Four. I grew up with The Beatles and still play all the albums regularly. So, the question does not compute for me.
However, Piggies... What a mean, miserable song.

No Beatles fan for starters but Yellow Submarine really grates.
I was tempted by the disallowed "all of them" but there are a few songs I do like, maybe enough for a LP length "Least Annoying Beatles". :eek::p;)

'Thank You Girl'

(Lennon McCartney)

tripe.

I am a fan of the Beatles, and like most of it.

About half of Abbey Road:
- I Want You (She's So Heavy)
- You Never Give Me Your Money
- Sun King
- Polythene Pam
- She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
- Her Majesty

Also a good chunk of the White Album as well as all the other songs I can't remember what they sound like from the title.

About half of Abbey Road:
- I Want You (She's So Heavy)
- You Never Give Me Your Money
- Sun King
- Polythene Pam
- She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
- Her Majesty

Also a good chunk of the White Album as well as all the other songs I can't remember what they sound like from the title.

I happen to like those! Tastes eh.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom