advertisement

What Was Your HiFi in 1980?

Linn LP12
SME 3009
Ortofon mm of some sort
Spendor D40 integrated
Spendor BC 1's

Absolutely loved it and played it to death.

In all the following years I don't think my enjoyment of any system has bettered it.

Last edited:
Rega planar 3 with Ortofon VMS20.
Nytech CA202 amp
Tangent TM1 speakers.
Sennheiser 424 phones.
I had that system till 1999!

Last edited:
B&O 900 Receiver, B&O 2000 R2R, BSR P128 turntable removed form defunct Readers Digest music centre. Mainly headphone listening so as not to annoy parents!

Got my first separates in the late 70s I think. That system was a JVC direct drive tt, Hitachi receiver and an Akai cassette deck. The speakers were Wharfdale Lintons which I bought from Comet and carried home on the bus, plus quite a walk. I only had a motorbike and the box was too big to strap on the seat behind me :)

AR XA turntable, Grado cartridge, Dynaco PAS-2 preamp, Dynaco Stereo-70 amplifier, home-made speakers with KEF B110 and Sen Lab/Dynaudio D28 in 14L ported boxes.

Ferguson music centre or maybe a Thorn tower system, not sure when I got the latter. It was quite a bit better.

When my parents were out for a while, Garrard 401, Quad 33/303, Celestion Ditton 25...and a top loading Sony cassette deck which I used to record albums from the record library because the difference in playback quality on the Ferguson/Thorn was huge compared to natively recorded!

An Amstrad RP-10 record player. The later "audiophile" version below, not the daft one with the disco lights in the lid.

bSKY4pt.jpg

1980....hi fi then was a Sony TC 280 reel to reel and a Tandberg 64 reel to reel, Tandberg 1000 tuner amp, marantz top loader cassette deck, technics direct drive tt, pair of locally made transmission line speakers with audax drivers.

just a stack em bsr I think.

And a portable Garrard (?) thing that sounded great but I can’t remember what it was.
I used to DJ with it at a local youth club.

Mine was a lot more modest than some of these! I'd had most of it since the early 70s in fact:

Connoisseur BD1/A-T 1005 Mk II/Shure M75ED (soon to be replaced by an Ortofon FF15E - much better, to my ears) in a black acrylic plinth/slab.
Trio/Kenwood KA-2002
Wharfedale Linton 2s
Sennheiser HD-424s

Oh, and a pretty agricultural Metrosound FM tuner (ST-20??).

It wasn't until 1983 that I had any funds for improvements.

JVC quadraphonic receiver, Bose 901 mk2, technics cassette deck and a Panasonic TT. Previously had 4 matching JVC speakers to go with the amp.

Some crappy amp/radio/tape deck thing and some massive Amstrad multi-driver speakers my dad used to get for free from them when working for Curry’s repairing their shite (so often they failed - 2 tweeters and 4 bass units from memory) - speakers on my bedside tables aimed at my ears, giant headphones! I swear I floated around the house in an out of body experience listening to Bowie tapes on that system 🤪

Didn't have a hifi in 1980, I was 8, in fact we didn't have anything that could be considered hifi at home at that stage, my older brother had an alarm clock radio. We watched TOTP on a Thursday evening and listened too the Top 40 on a Sunday evening on Grandad's wireless.
My main interests were probably Lego, model kits and Star Wars.

advertisement

Back