advertisement

What Was Your HiFi in 1980?

That’s what I was using in 1980 (9 years old); the disco version, it was awesome.
IMG-0097.webp

IMG_0098.webp
I remember adverts like that...10 Watts Peak Music Power!... (aka Amstrad Watts). Which is 5 Watts PMP per channel.....which is 3.5 Watts RMS per channel. So not that much after all.

I think I was still running the Thorens TD160 and the Hadcock, probably with an Ortofon VMS20E/II, along with a Sansui AU217 II amp, and perhaps a pair of Dave Berriman's DBS4 kit speakers, published in Practical Hi-Fi magazine. My late grandad, a cabinet finisher at the local British Rail works, built the cabinets and soldered the crossover parts together for me. I would've been 18 for most of that year. My memory isn't good enough to be certain though- I might still have been using KEF Corellis and a Goodmans Module 90 receiver. The DBS4s and the Sansui might've been 1981...

In 1980 I was using the very same cartridge in my Rega 3 ( S-shaped arm) that I am now using in my Ittok LVIII - my A&R P77 so I have come full circle, although the tip is different, was a Paroc and is now an HE. My amp is the same make - Sugden, then an A48II and now an A21SE) and my speakers are/were 2-ways also, both designed by Mr Comeau (then HB2s and now WD25TEx. Only my phono is now vastly superior - OTT rebuilt Puresound P10 in 2 boxes c/w the then Sugden phono input on the orange/brown monster.
I also drive the same 1975 VW Beetle 1303 (bought new in 1975)so I´m a boring sod - plus ça change, cést la même chose. Still playing the same discs, too. Mayall, Hartley, Van, Blodwyn, Mac. and the odd Bill Evans with a bit of the Dan.
In my defence, I do live in a time warp on the southernmost fringe of the EU where the nearest thing to a hifi shop is a Media Markt.
Sorry, forgot to mention my most recent additions - my Addis pads all over the place.

Not mine as I was only 8 in 1980. My dad had this Sansui hi-fi but with a Sony turntable. I didn’t really start using it in earnest until 1982/83, recording stuff off the radio and listening to the first records I had bought (Madness, Steely Dan) from the local Woolworths in Crouch End.

IMG-3227.jpg

Radio Cassette from my Grandad. Bless that man's heart.
Recorded the chart show on my lone Curry's C90. Played that tape again and again.
Eventually got a second hand Fidelity record player from a friend who's family moved to Australia. It was white and major cool. This went to my brother when I got a pioneer stack system.
When I was 17 and started work ( I hated school and managed one week of sixth form which I loathed) I bought a watch with my first week's wages (Tissot, still have it) then I saved up for my first proper hifi..... '85 by the time it came along.

PL112D, VMS20E, Linsley-Hood pre-amp plus the 10W Class-A amplifier driving Beyer headphones, not at full volume I might add.

I was on pocket money so Goodmans Q20 ‘speakers, Amstrad EX222 Executive receiver, Sony TC FX310 tape player and a cheap Garrard turntable. The Goodmans and the Amstrad found other homes when I went to college and they continued working for at least 25-30 years. The Amstrad was only 15 wpc but it was simple and sounded good. There was a point in the companies history when they had decent products. All of it came from Comet. They were replaced at college with Yamaha and A&R18LS which I bought from Lasky’s with my award of the minimum grant. The Yamaha was a downgrade from the Amstrad.
The biggest spend was the tape player because I was at school and none of us could afford large record collections. If someone bought a record, it probably did a trip around half a dozen houses and we all taped it. Most of our record collections were probably around ten vinyl records.
There was a hierarchy of tapes. For the recordings I really wanted, they went on TDK SA90s with an album on each side. For records that were less important, I bought bulk cassettes from newspaper small ads for about 20-30 pence each. Metal tapes were beyond my budget.

Schneider TS1403 music centre bought from Currys Leicester:-

music_center_system_ts1403s_1824092.jpg

Bought on the basis that my favourite band was Kraftwerk and at age 13 I foolishly fancied that this piece of sh*t might be Florian Schneider's own brand!

I had to blutac a 2p coin onto the headshell to stop the needle jumping!

The cassette deck had wow and flutter a plenty.

The tuner from memory was OK and the stand was handy for storing my vinyl collection.

May have been 1981 not 1980 - I can't remember. I do know that one of the first records I played on it was "Computer World" (while I mucked about with a Sinclair ZX 81):-

"I program my home computer

...beam myself into the future"

Bogen TT, Electro Voice amp, Koss headphones - I was 17. The EV amp was cool, but blew an output transistor. Still have the knobs.

dxZ5kEX.jpg

tcqjc9juy8lu3voqrcyp.jpg

51Px8VatWoL._AC_SL1200.jpg
phwoar - that Bogen is an early Lenco L70 derivative, fantastic TT and the arm is actually good compared to the later L75s! I still have a pristine L70 in my collection.

Had this superb phillips ghatto blaster with detachable speakers and slide controls , just right for a tiny room in my accommodation

Phillips 8534 ,they still have them on ebay !! Amazing

Mine was a third hand (parents, bruvver, me) Thorn/Ferguson radiogram. Decent looking thing with an angled control panel with tuning window and sliders for tone, balance and volume.
I have never been able to find a piccy of the model though.
Probably a bit nasty but great at the time!

Pioneer PL12d turntable with Shure M75ED cartridge, Pioneer SX535 receiver, Pioneer top loading cassette deck (can't recall exact model number) along with a pair of Celef Monitor speakers. I still have the Celef Monitor speakers although not in current system and my youngest son still has my old Pioneer PL12d in use,

Thorens TD160 with Hadcock arm & Entre 1 cartridge
Lentek phono stage
Quad 33/303
B & W DM2/II speakers
Aiwa 1250 cassette deck

All except cassette deck bought from KJ in Fleet St

Hadcock & Entre soon replaced by Rega RB200 & Elite cartridge after damaging not 1 but 2 Entre's due to being too pissed/stoned!

Quads bought in preference to the new fangled A & R A60 - the difference in build quality was chalk & cheese

All sold in 81 to finance travel to India & Asia. By the time I returned to the UK the Flat Earth philosophy was in full swing

A Fidelity record player with built in amp and a pair of speakers. A Phillips Tape Recorder that sat on top of Cambridge Box with a better external speaker, still Mono. I was 12.

My Dads brother lived up our street, he had a lovely Hifi and a lovely wife, they both inspired my future. I managed the latter, still working on the former!!

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back