advertisement

What was your Hi-Fi System in 1989?

John

Rack’em Up!
Some recent discussions on the LP12 thread got me a bit nostalgic. Here’s a shot of my setup in 1989 from our first home. It was setup in the basement where we spent a lot time listening to music or watching films, tv shows and sports. All before internet and mobile phones. I’m rather surprised I even had a photo of the rig. Linn LP12/Ittok/Troika, Naim 42.5, Snaps, 110 on Audiotech and Sound Organisation stands with Quads ESL-57’s.

ageCNzM.jpeg

UarzikH.jpeg

Last edited:
LP 12, Valhalla, Ittock, K18, Exposure X, Mordant short speakers.
Today Amadeus GTa, Cadenza Blue, Audio Note pre-power and phono, Trenner& Friedl Art, can't honestly say it is much better.

Rega Planar 2 / Bias / RWB
Rotel RA-820BX3
Dali 3B with stands
Cheap 4mm copper cable.

No CD before early 90's (Teac CD-Z500).

Immensely enjoyable then. Total cost then (sans CD) about 6000 DKK which is about 1350 GBP today.

This was the system in the 'second home' (Uni) in 1986:

AAItzIr.jpg

And this was the main system (note that the tuner clearly had pride of place):

igfsWKj.jpg

The reason for the little radio being there is probably that when I first got 'into' hi-fi a few years earlier, the first thing I bought was the NAD 3020 amp. My father had a couple of ancient speaker cones (no cabinets) which I wired up with the radio earphone socket as the source. The cones I put on the floor with some heavy books on top. I had sound....wonderful.

From memory, LP12, Valhalla, Akito, 1 of these cartridges - K9, VMS20E, A&R P77, ADC XLM (maybe some others, I got through quite a lot around that time, seems I was never satisfied)
Naim Nait
Some Monitor Audio speakers in some wenge dark type wood which I hated. Looked similar to these but did not have a gold tweeter -
Aiwa AD6350 cassette deck.
Last but not least a Rotel RX802 Receiver that took back stage as I could never get a good signal around my mates house when I was in lodgings. This was a hang around piece of hifi from my young youth.

Micro Seiki BL10X with AT F-5
Yamaha CDX4
Yamaha tuner
Alpage AL80 cassette
Linn LK1 + LK100
Mordaunt Short Pageant 2 speakers

Bang & Olufsen Beogram 3300 turntable
Nakamichi BX-100 cassette
Harman Kardon HK-330i receiver
Bang & Olufsen RL-60 speakers

Leak speakers and amp. Toshiba turntable, Sony c.d. player (might have been Philips)
Some VHS recorder nicam stereo that I could record music on. Tuner and tape deck that I can’t remember (? technics)
maybe a graphic equaliser :cool:

My parents stumped up the money for me to buy some Tannoy Mercury MK2 speakers for my 21st in 1988. By 1989 I'd added a Proton D540 amp (which I still have), a Yamaha CDP (can't remember the model) & an Ariston QDeck..

CJ Walker 58 / Alphason Opal / A&R P77
Aiwa cassette player - can’t remember the model
Creek CAS4040
Mission 70mkII

i was 20 years old and a skint student. Loved that system.

advertisement

Back