advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

This year I moved from Alaska to Thailand. I had to get rid of all my years of gear, 4 full systems with dacs, cdp etc. Sadly had to give up on my beloved Sonneteer Orton. One turntable and 4 pair of speakers and 3 subwoofers all gone I just shipped one amp and 2 sets of speakers. For this reason I had cause to get more new hifi than a normal year.

For a one room studio apt, I got a Bluesound PowerNode. All in one amp/dac/streamer. In fact, it is basically a NODE with an amp added for close to the same price. I use it with my original old Rogers LS3/5a monitors. Bought new in the 1980s. Small to ship.

Dali Katch bluetooth speaker for outdoor use.
It sounds ok as is, but I boosted it way up by wiring it via headphone out to a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 DAC and a Jotenheim 2 headphone amp. Streaming from a WiiMini Wifi unit.

Schiit Lokius EQ.
While built in EQ in some units like Wiim streamers may be better, I like having the unit on my main integrated amp for quick easy tweaking. A real superfluous piece, but that is how we gear heads are.

Meze 109 Pro Headphones because my old Meze 99 Classics were so comfy and indestructable.
I added a pair of inexpensive Sennheiser HD6xx headphones.

Last week Rega io and Schiit Modi 3+, just incredible. Also JDS Labs Atom DAC+, huge disappointment and being sent back.
I like Schiit gear. I have a Jotenheim 2 headphone amp, Bifrost 2/64 DAC and a Lokius EQ. Also a Rega fan. When I moved I gifted my Rega Brio R amp to a friend.

I moved house in September and have a space for my hifi at last. Over the past few months I have picked up a Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 (from here), Wharfedale Linton speakers (from here) and a Rega P1 plus turntable which is the weak link. I definitely plan to upgrade the turntable but find are tight. Lots to do in the house first.

Really enjoying the room correction on the Lyngdorf amp. It’s working wonders in a room with a 4 foot void under the floor & 12 foot high ceilings!

In the next few weeks/month or two I should have an incoming ANK (AudioNote Kit) Dan 4.1x Pro arriving

Looking forward to this one.........

I just purchased some lovely vintage B&W Matrix 3 Series 2 floor standers. I didn't need them but have been after a pair for many years having once had the use of a pair about 35 years ago. I'm loving them all over again and can't believe the quality on offer for such a modest price. The used hifi market can offer some absolute bargains, not sure why you'd ever buy new.

A very fine pair of rosewood Naim IBLs. I've been chasing some for years.

sSDDzgt.jpg

Made the mistake of trying my old Pro-ject RS Monoblocs in the system again for the first time in a few years - the tighter, faster bass VS the more musical First Watt J2 became - in both cases - a set of compromises too far, and so following a recommendation from Ed Selley, I now own a pair of Electrocompaniet AW180 monoblocs. These are the best of both worlds, but better - quite a lot better:

Electrocompaniet-monos-02.jpg

However hard I try to buy silver hifi with metal fronts, I seem to keep acquiring black hifi with acrylic bits... Good job it's for listening to, and not looking-at!

Blown away by how good they are - by far the best I've ever owned, astounding imaging, resolution, intelligibility, tunefulness and timing; no bleaching of tonal colour, no shrillness, no hardness, and no added warmth. Suddenly find myself baffled why I've not taken more notice of this brand!

After having Naim 140/62 for the last 30 odd years I needed to get them serviced, whilst I mulled over the cost and the fact I would not have them back for several weeks a neighbour lent me a virtually unused Rogers A75 Series 2 Amp in its original box with paperwork of the same vintage. All I can say is wow! Through my Royd Doublet's it sounds fantastic (to me) - so much depth and warmth especially at the low volumes I enjoy Jazz, female vocals etc through. £100 well spent. Naim now on a shelf whilst I listen to music and contemplate my navel.....

Mutec MC3+, but if a shot in the foot, cheeky offer accepted on eBay before I realised it wasn’t USB, Gustard U12 still being used and sounds better in AS Dax Decade

Graham Phantom, I’m familiar with this as I built a 301 plinth and fitted the same. I had SME shaped space on my Sony TTS8000 and it’s matched really well.

Made the mistake of trying my old Pro-ject RS Monoblocs in the system again for the first time in a few years - the tighter, faster bass VS the more musical First Watt J2 became - in both cases - a set of compromises too far, and so following a recommendation from Ed Selley, I now own a pair of Electrocompaniet AW180 monoblocs. These are the best of both worlds, but better - quite a lot better:

Electrocompaniet-monos-02.jpg

However hard I try to buy silver hifi with metal fronts, I seem to keep acquiring black hifi with acrylic bits... Good job it's for listening to, and not looking-at!

Blown away by how good they are - by far the best I've ever owned, astounding imaging, resolution, intelligibility, tunefulness and timing; no bleaching of tonal colour, no shrillness, no hardness, and no added warmth. Suddenly find myself baffled why I've not taken more notice of this brand!
superb , we should hear more from this brand

they are hella sexy speakers. are the stands the right way round? lol im just think they would look better wide front or is that just me?

not sure if this counts but just busted the bank (£45 off the Bay) buying some chord company epic speaker jumper cables for my Kef R3 meta. just curious to see if it did make any differnce

they are hella sexy speakers. are the stands the right way round? lol im just think they would look better wide front or is that just me?
They’re the right way round. I left the spikes etc. out of the equation for the moment as these won’t be out for long due to building work starting in 2 weeks.

Listening now. They’re superb. With two PV1D’s in the mix I’ll be happy as Larry. They're definite keepers, everything I love about ATC’s is there in abundance. End game downsize rig sorted for when the day comes.

They’re the right way round. I left the spikes etc. out of the equation for the moment as these won’t be out for long due to building work starting in 2 weeks.

Listening now. They’re superb. With two PV1D’s in the mix I’ll be happy as Larry. They're definite keepers, everything I love about ATC’s is there in abundance. End game downsize rig sorted for when the day comes.
How do they compare to the SCM10-2a? I'm also considering this move.

How do they compare to the SCM10-2a? I'm also considering this move.
Much more body to the sound and effortless soundstage without trying to ensure they’re set up just right. The 10-2a’s are great, especially paired with two PV1D’s, but these are next level by comparison. The cabinets are at least 2x the volume and it shares the same tweeter as the 100ASLT. With PV1D’s in the mix I think I’ll be able to sell my 100ASLT’s without too many regrets when the time comes.

advertisement

Back