advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

IMG-0618.jpg

Recently bought a pair of EAR 509 mk2 mono power amps to replace my trusty DV HX-100 and complete my EAR amp setup (88PB/HP4/509s).

They throw a significantly wider sound stage with my Obelisk 2’s than did the HX-100 and I’m finding that recordings I thought I knew inside out, I actually didn’t…

Last edited:
yes this is it

Black Ice Audio (formerly Jolida) lastest and last revision of the FX DSD valve dac with mods (latest revision boards)

1 of 3 I managed to bring in with factory mods on the dac board consisting of 12 Z-Foil Naked resistors (a $650 mod direct).

The last few in stock at Black Ice in the US are selling for $899 down from $1250 to make way for their new Aries dac (excl the resistor mod). Add duty, VAT and freight these days and the price shoots up.

Of the 3 that were brought in, one was modded for a friend, one sold on the forum for £1300 with no extra tweaks, and I kept this one for myself which has the below mods in addition to what Black Ice had done.

Further upgrades:
• Furutech gold IEC and AMR fuse
• Cast single core silver output wire
• Audio Note silver plated RCA output sockets
•Dac board’s electrolytic cap upgraded to Audio Seiryu
• Dac board voltage regulator upgraded to a Sparkos discreet type
• Mains board has resistor upgrades to Mills (one of which feeds the tubes)
• Regulator to the tubes upgraded to a Sparkos discreet type
• WiFi board unplugged (can be reconnected)
• Mains board caps upgraded to:
• Audio Note Seiryu and Standard, Panasonic and a Solen tin foil Teflon FEP cap.
• Output caps are Russian K73-11 which at some stage could me modded to V-Caps.
• Output tubes are CBS 5751 triple meca types (US made tubes)
• The headphone volume pot is bypassed but not disconnected. I can remove this if you want the full use of the volume pot for headphones or the output RCA’s. As it stands now with the bypass there is a little variance in turning the pot.
• On the rear IEC there is a Russ Andrew’s ground post and copper screw to connect a cable like the below if you use any grounding boxes:
Phil, Most of those additional mods were done to copy what I've had done to mine (I was the guinea pig) I've also had logo & valve LEDs disconnected and Vcap ODAMs as output caps, also running NOS 60s TFK 83s. Was good in the lightly pimped state I originally bought (matched a Lab12 Reference 1) now it has greater authority & texture with a more expansive soundstage.
Just wait until it burns in Phil, it will go from V good to epic.

Linn Exotik preamp… need a good MC phono stage now to go with it, going to my local dealer to check a few sub £500 models out. I’m intending to buy new.
Why are you buying new? Get yourself a second hand Tom Evans Microgroove or a trilogy or something. I'm no expert but the cheaper phono stages I've heard have sadly, been a bit limited. Each to their own of course.

+1.
Grab the Pro-ject bundle in the classifieds, then stick the NRS up on eBay and get £100ish of the £575 back. A well reviewed PS complete with dedicated PSU at a bargain price, what's, not to like?

Not sure if this counts....but had my Musical Fidelity amplifers upgraded by JS audio repairs....and just ordered some more industrial springs to place under my equipment as a poor mans Isoacoustic pods.
I tried that, but they haven't replied to the email I sent them a year ago...

Mint ATC SCM20-2A at a realistic price. I'll be selling my SCM10A-2's in due course.

Means I’ve also got my downsize/retirement rig sorted. It’ll make it a lot easier to part with my 100ASLT’s when the time comes. 😥

Last edited:
Yes john , got the previous black ice in to demo to the new owner .sounds superb ,in fact wonder why i thought of getting a newer one !!!

Why are you buying new? Get yourself a second hand Tom Evans Microgroove or a trilogy or something. I'm no expert but the cheaper phono stages I've heard have sadly, been a bit limited. Each to their own of course.
Mainly because I have a good relationship with my local dealer, he will look after me and let me take my time trying the different option. I may stretch that budget out a little. If I do buy something reasonably expensive, he will take something of my excess kit in trade too which saves me the job of selling it. I hope quite a bit of excess kit because I’m too busy to deal with selling it all… there’s a risk my Kairn would sit in a box full months one fixed lol.

Some Wyred 4 Sound SX500 mono's for 250w of power to my Graham Audio speakers. They are currently getting a go in the main rig to see if I like them.

A Jolida JD9 phono stage also arrived yesterday for a borrow, and possible purchase, from another member. I haven't had a proper play with it yet as had to walk the dog last night, then ended up shopping for several hours, arriving back too late... But I have some free time today, plus several new records to play. So it will be getting a really good go. First impressions with my Technics 1210GR deck and Hana SL cart were very good indeed.

I have a Radford STA15 incoming in the next few days. It should be interesting to see the difference between that and the Leak Stereo 20 into my Tannoy Turnberry HE - both having been sympathetically refurbished.

Some Wyred 4 Sound SX500 mono's for 250w of power to my Graham Audio speakers. They are currently getting a go in the main rig to see if I like them.

A Jolida JD9 phono stage also arrived yesterday for a borrow, and possible purchase, from another member. I haven't had a proper play with it yet as had to walk the dog last night, then ended up shopping for several hours, arriving back too late... But I have some free time today, plus several new records to play. So it will be getting a really good go. First impressions with my Technics 1210GR deck and Hana SL cart were very good indeed.
be very interested how the grahams go with icepower . i was extremely surprised when i put icepower on the tannoy eatons . they were far better than i thought . actually warm sounding and engaging . infact warmer than the valve hybrid amps i had on there at one point . Class D can be so surprising .. sometimes its horrible , sometimes its `too dynamic ` and then a bit fatiguing but just occassionally you get a sweet spot . i certainly can`t understand why John Stronzer abandoned icepower

Latest purchase is a nice brand new pair of Verum 1 headphones from a PFM member some months ago for a rather nice sum.

I should take them off my ears once & a while :)

advertisement

Back