advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Is that powerful enough for your MBL’s?, I thought Shearne amps had a Blue speckled finish.
Some have the blue marble fascia, some don't.

Yes, it's plenty powerful for my MBLs, they are very easy to drive, I've happily used 10wpc amps with them.
... although I've used 400wpc amps as well!

Steampunk!!!

6-E04-CF44-9-E02-4-EC0-AFA0-5616-C8-FA6221.jpg" alt="6-E04-CF44-9-E02-4-EC0-AFA0-5616-C8-FA6221
They’re quite the giant-killer speakers. Stupidly good, really. If I’d just gone straight to these 20 years ago I’d have saved a fortune and a lot of time too….

Really nice! How do they compare to the Harbs and the integrated they’ve replaced?

Wharfedale 506.

Being a fan of the 505.2, I thought I'd give these a punt.

Turns out, much better than I thought and at least the equal to 505.2's. Slightly prettier too imo.

Driven by a Yamaha A-S801 they have a lovely sense of space around instruments with lucid mids and sweetly detailed top end.

Special mention to Steves Vintage-Hifi for the excellent packaging in which they arrived.

Brill I've long been after a pair of 708s. Sadly, on the rare occasions I see a pair they are either as rough as toast or very far away.

Been looking for an EAR DAC4 for what seems like years now. Just cannot find one from what seems like a reputable seller - they don't make it anymore and apparently a 5 will be out before the end of the century.

Anyone else been looking for something for years?

I owned a J.S integrated a long time ago (blue marble front). Very nice, very big sound. Actually too big, it seemed to magnify everything at cost to focus/imaging. I contemplated to move to a Shearne Pre/Power but then financial circumstances made that impossible.

Brill I've long been after a pair of 708s. Sadly, on the rare occasions I see a pair they are either as rough as toast or very far away.
The Wharfedale 506's were on ebay looking photogenic; and I finally succumbed. Mine are actually tidier than those shown in the picture. (It was a lazy stock shot).

I'm surprised at the quality on offer for what were budget products. Looked down upon from on high.
Then again, I don't know if the previous owner might have upgraded the crossover components as they are sounding quite refined.

Modern budget offerings are notably smaller and more plasticky.

So I'm quite pleased to get something more to my taste for a fraction of the price.

Fiio BTR3k to stop me launching my phone off the desk when I go into the office and use my wired headphones, pretty impressed so far, better than the headphone output on the phone.

i

A Rega turntable bracket for P8, initial impression is that it will stop any children touching it. Also, it brings a improvement in focus. Nice.
I also grabbed some Van Damme LC-OFC 6mm @6 metre length so I’m selling the pair that they replaced which are just short of 5 metres length.
A Teddy Pardo 5v PS for my USBridge Signature that is a significant improvement over the Shanti I used previously. A surprising uplift in SQ that was very unexpected so I thought I’d try a…
SBooster BOTW for my Antimode 2.0. I’ve not had a chance to compare and chop and change the PS with the 2 cheap PS I have for the Antimode but will do so this week.
Finally I’ve ordered some, what is to me expensive cabling to try and see if it will be a improvement over the existing “studio grade” cabling I have throughout my system, should be interesting…

Second hand Valhalla (version 1) mains cable arrived yesterday, and I'm pleased with the result of adding it to the pre amp to replace the Frey2; and consequently using that Frey 2 on the dCS clock. (Couldn't be bothered switching the mains cables around between DAC, clock and pre)

Difficult waiting for the Rossini Apex upgrade but I learnt today that it should be here before Christmas...

A uses Primare NP5 for my office, feeding into a new Audient Nero monitor controller (pro audio gear...for when my home office transforms into a home studio).
I own an NP5. I'd be interested to hear your opinion when you get it settled in. Mine sounds good.... But no better than the Chrome Cast Audio it replaced.

advertisement

Back