advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Well, it arrived back and it’s DOA. Output selector knob is bent and apart from the display backlight coming on, it’s fooked. I’m far from a happy bunny. Seems to be damage in transit. Thrilled.
This is why I always take photos or videos before, during and after opening as proof to how it arrived. They can't then claim that YOU dropped it.

Upgraded Tactic drivers for my WIlson Benesch ACT Ones. Also had the crossovers refurbished with new caps.

And yes, they sound great! They were already rather good and now they're faster, sharper, clearer. A fair step up.

Edit - I should add that WB technical support were first rate. Helpful, responsive, and when I placed my order they got the drivers built and shipped within a week. Credit where it's due.

53746668877_b482580f45_k.jpg
How much did the upgrades cost mate if you dont mind me asking

The Peachtree amp has arrived - I've quickly bunged it on top of my normal amp and plugged the speakers and the input from the DAC and it sounds good. Not tried its internal DAC yet but initial impressions are good. Still no idea what system its going in though.

original.jpg

Apparently you can switch the valve off but you need the remote for that - I don't have one yet but am in correspondence with Peachtree in the US to get one:
174644872.obfkNXlr.pt102.jpg

Well, it arrived back and it’s DOA. Output selector knob is bent and apart from the display backlight coming on, it’s fooked. I’m far from a happy bunny. Seems to be damage in transit. Thrilled.

And the good news is, after discussions with Lance at Halcro and taking a large number of brave pills, I removed removed the case, the wiring loom, split the pre-amp and then got to the audio boards, removed and re-seated them, re-assembled and voila, we are working again. Quite a relief. I'll give it a few days running before adding the side pillars.

Lance thought the knock that caused the bending of the output selector on the back panel may have disturbed the adjacent controller of the relays in the pre-amp and this seems to be the case.

In between my last post and the 332-333 being installed, I got offered a great deal by my dealer on an NPX300 so now have a power supply on both. The system is sounding excellent and I intend to stick with these boxes, with just the introduction of better cables as funds allow.

And the good news is, after discussions with Lance at Halcro and taking a large number of brave pills, I removed removed the case, the wiring loom, split the pre-amp and then got to the audio boards, removed and re-seated them, re-assembled and voila, we are working again. Quite a relief. I'll give it a few days running before adding the side pillars.

Lance thought the knock that caused the bending of the output selector on the back panel may have disturbed the adjacent controller of the relays in the pre-amp and this seems to be the case.
Good service from Halcro. And in the end a good, workable and (free) solution. But a full year for the original repairs?! 😲

Sean Jacobs DC4/ARC6 added to my Chord DAVE (w/ M Scaler). Utterly transformative beyond any expectation. Before that, Tannoy Kensingtons and Pathos InPol Heritage MK2 integrated. Done for a while!
Wow , i had a dc3 on my bel canto pre and that was good .well done and glad you enjoy the kensingtons .

HI Colin - I am heading to Oz in ten days, is there anything I can do to help? Cheers

Reactions: Joe
Good luck with selling your vdh xlr , wondered what you upgraded to
Yes I've gone from the vdhul to Vertere Redline. I now have Redline on Vertere DG1 TT to Phono 1 (RCA-RCA), Phono1 to Naim 222 (RCA to 5 pin DIN), 222 to 250 Naim NC (XLR-XLR) and speaker cables (to Atohm GT1), plus a Redline Power to the challenger PS on the TT. The two Naim units (NPX300 and NAP250) have powerline cords. System sits on an older Acrylic Reference Quadraspire rack, and I'm really really happy with it.

advertisement

Back