advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

A spare 1m pair of Chord Epic RCA, ICs from the classifieds incase I want to use a Pre with the direct input on the MastersounD Compact 845, will also be handy for rack re-jigs.

Despite really not needed any more amps I've just bought a very cheap Peachtree Nova 65SE from Ebay. No idea what I'm going to do with it yet, but I've wanted to try one of their amps for years now so I'm looking forward to it arriving.

After a week long home demo loan I placed an order for, and now have, a nice new Atoll IN300.

It replaces my Marantz PM-KI Ruby which though perfectly good sounding it lacked something at the bass end. My guess is that its Class D power output was not the best match with my Boenicke W5SE’s whereas the Atoll fills it all in nicely. They have quite different tonal characters too with the Marantz being nicer, or more polite whereas the Atoll is more open and natural. An extra bonus comes with the inclusion of a very good digital input board that would challenge a lot of stand alone DAC’s. I’m very pleased with it.

Last month I also got the very nice, new to me, Linn LP12 from Mr Pig on this forum. In over 50 years in this hobby I had never auditioned an LP12 nor even heard one very often! It is so different in its presentation I just had to have one and it’s a goody.

Nice! How does it sound? Is the Roomperfect handy?
Of course sound is very subjective. Previously I had Exposure 3010S2D pre/monos which I still like but wanted for some time to try RP, having used Audessey, ARC, and Dirac with multichannel. I chose the Exposure to run with ATC SCM40s after home loans in preference to SN3, Hegel H190 and Rega Aethos. Previously had the H360 but the 190 sounded too controllled with bass.

I had been sceptical of whether RP would be any different but wanted to try it in my difficult acoustic space. It makes a difference but that may also be down to the 3400’s greater power and circuitry. It’s difficult to quantify. The Exposures are great but I needed a separate dac as the 3010 are analogue only unless a dac board is added. The 3400 integrates the sub more effectively as before it was a full range take from the Exposure preamp and controlled by the sub’s settings, whereas now it’s done in the Lyngdorf. I was originally hunting down a TDAi 2170 but kept missing out on the few good ones I could find. I’m happy with my choice and will stay with it for the long term.

Arriving soon will be Naim 332 and 333 to replace my 222. An expensive upgrade but SQ uplift made it a no brainer. So I will have a 300-level system except for my NC250. Only upgrade likely to follow will be another NPX300 so the 332 can have a power supply as well.

I’m getting my preamp back from Halcro in Australia after it being away for repair (for a long time - one year). Intermittent faults are such a bugger. Maybe not a new purchase but it feels like it.
Well, it arrived back and it’s DOA. Output selector knob is bent and apart from the display backlight coming on, it’s fooked. I’m far from a happy bunny. Seems to be damage in transit. Thrilled.

Last edited:
JVC TOTL from 1976.
53416540174_74e651174d_k.jpg

Joining two from 1978
53727296760_3b41e113aa_k.jpg

advertisement

Back