advertisement

What was/is your favourite CD player

I had an Ikemi as my last CD player before I went over to streaming. Loved it. I remember hearing it for the first time at Stereo Stereo in Glasgow shortly after it was released. It was demo'd against a Karik/Numerik. Within about two bars the half dozen or so of us in the room just looked at each other in the slightly incredulous way you do when you've heard a proper difference between components.
Sounds like it’s worth hearing.Love my Rotel though.

My old Meridian 206 with trichord clock was fantastic.

It lasted and lasted and lasted and was still sounding fantastic when I finally sold it after 30 years service.

It played anything , never skipped and was built like a battleship.

Philips CD104b, which sounded screechy, hard and metallic. 32 years on I can still remember the harshness when I listen to the CD's that I used to play on this machine. It had the good grace to fail in service after about 3 years......allowing me to move on

Dennon DCD610, budget player, much nicer sounding

Arcam CD92, a decent step up from the Dennon, and almost on a par with a Naim DAC.

Philips CD104b, which sounded screechy, hard and metallic. 32 years on I can still remember the harshness when I listen to the CD's that I used to play on this machine. It had the good grace to fail in service after about 3 years......allowing me to move on

Dennon DCD610, budget player, much nicer sounding

Arcam CD92, a decent step up from the Dennon, and almost on a par with a Naim DAC.

Ah the good old CD player that could skin a cat myth. I thought it was long gone.
The thing is, Philips did nothing to tweak their CD players to sound nice in period systems that were themselves tweaked to sound acceptable with dull vinyl replay systems. That included speakers.
Hence the Mission DAD7000...
The second and third next generation players were nicely biased towards such systems, but it was a trick!
Try one today and be impressed at how nice and fluffy the CD104 actually sounds – and has always sounded like!

Meridian 507 was a lovely bit of kit, both in terms of sound and look/feel. Should have probably held onto it longer than I did, but upgraditis/curiosity led me down the transport/dac route.

Was it the special output filter? The ‘trick’?
Definitely yes. It actually made the player worse by adding yet more op-amps, but it sounded nicer in the context of the unbalanced systems of the time.
Today they would sound dull and lifeless!
Even McIntosh made one based on the CD304, and they sold it 7 times more expensive. :D
It looked as ugly as the rest of the range... whereas the Philips was nice.

philips_cd304_2.png

16.png

My favourite cd player is my 20+ yr. old Arcam Alpha 9

especially since @linnfomaniac83 did some funk to it. :cool:

Listening to the album To Bring You My Love - PJ Harvey on c.d. and

Working For The Man is an experience.
Glad you’re happy with it buddy, I’ve been listening it myself whilst on soak test, it’s an excellent sounding machine!

PS, we went and had a bite for lunch at Felley Priory from yours, what a lovely place... got a couple of nice plants for my garden from there too!

My old Meridian 206 with trichord clock was fantastic.

It lasted and lasted and lasted and was still sounding fantastic when I finally sold it after 30 years service.

It played anything , never skipped and was built like a battleship.

My Philips CD630 is also 30 years old this year, though it's been languishing in the loft for a good while. The only problem I've ever had with it is that the drawer mechanism "sticks" a bit if I haven't used it for a long time, but apart from that, it has been faultless. I must dig it out at some point very soon and see if it still works...

My CD player days are probably over as I've streamed from a laptop for ages now and am very happy with the arrangement and sound.

I went through more CDPs than any other component. Sony, Technics, Yamaha, Marantz, Philips, Denon models, all from budget to midrange. That should tell you something! The well regarded Arcams were out of my budget and I didn't try the Rotel 855BX (?) and 965BX either.

My favourite was probably the Philips CD502 with TDA1540 chip I scored for $40. NZ has never had the vast second hand market of the UK and $40 was a very good price for a used deck that originally sold for a budget $400. It was the nearest I got in enjoyment to my Planar 3 and was the most neutral sounding. Most were either glarey or dull, and/or coloured in some way. The Denon 1020 or something got excellent reviews but was too lean and so artificially pacy that it appeared to trip over itself! Also it didn't like CDRs. Away it went. The Philips CD850 II (I think it was - I might still have it somewhere) had a really lovely easy smoothness to it but a rolled off treble as I recall and deep but soft bass. I think it was either the first or second Bitstream model. It reminded me for all the world of a suspended TT from the 80s with an A&R P77 cartridge. Miles away from a solid and dynamic Rega 3 with AT cartridge.

Last edited:
Like my TEAC PDH-600, looks cool, good VFM and serving now as a nice transport.:)

Also my SONY X55ES with the Rosewood side cheeks... sounds good too.:)

Ah the good old CD player that could skin a cat myth. I thought it was long gone.
The thing is, Philips did nothing to tweak their CD players to sound nice in period systems that were themselves tweaked to sound acceptable with dull vinyl replay systems. That included speakers.
Hence the Mission DAD7000...
The second and third next generation players were nicely biased towards such systems, but it was a trick!
Try one today and be impressed at how nice and fluffy the CD104 actually sounds – and has always sounded like!

I do not know if Philips created accurate sounding machines back then or not so I will not make comment on your statement to that effect. But I do know that in the same system the proceeding two players I inserted (Denon then Arcam) did not sound harsh and screechy as per the Philips. If the Denon and Arcam were tonaly incorrect as you seem to assert, then I say good!

Still on my original CDI here.

OK, so I have done most of Martin's power supply mods, and I have modified it to run the analogue supplies from a Hicap like the 3.5. It's a wonderfully analogue player now.

Could that be done to a CD2?

Blimey this is going to tax my memory.

These are just the ones that I can remember off the top of my head. Most are players I've owned but some are players that I've worked on for other people and had a chance to have a good listen to:

Eclipse 101
Cambridge Audio CD4
Cambridge Audio CD5
Cambridge Audio CD6
Cambridge Audio Discmagic plus Dacmagic 3 and Isomagic S700
Cambridge Audio D500se
Cambridge Audio CD2
Arcam Alpha 5 (many)
Arcam Alpha 5+
Arcam Alpha 7 or 8?
Philips CD104 (several)
Philips CD471
Philips CD723
Philips CD960
Sony M75 (several)
Sony 103 (several)
Sony 303es
Sony 502
Sony 333esd
Sony 227 (several)
Sony 710 (many)
Sony 750 (sevral)
Sony 950
Sony 337esd (many)
Sony 557esd (several)
Sony X7esd (several)
Sony X707esd
Sony 555esd (several)
Sony X555es
Sony XA20es
Sony 228esd
Sony 338esd (sevral)
Marantz CD63
Marantz CD74
Marantz CD84
Marantz CD73
Marantz CD873
Audio Alchemy DDS plus DDE
Audio Note CD2
Rotel RCD971
Rotel RCD991
Denon DCD900
Denon DCD3300
Roksan Caspian
Teac P-500
Creek CD60

Notable highlights from the above list would be:

Sony CDP-555esd
Sony CDP-557esd
Sony CDP-X7esd
Sony CDP-337esd
Rotel RCD-971
Philips CD960
My highly modified Arcam Alpha 5
My highly modified Sony CDP-710
Denon DCD3300

The Audio Note CD2 sounded great but gets marked down for having a crap laser mech.
Sony DAS-R1 if we're including DAC's.

I'm going to have to update the above to include my recently aquired Marantz CD12 transport and DA12 DAC which I'm finding utterly beguiling.

At one time I had seven psu's on my Naim CD3.5 :rolleyes: The original for everything before the dac chip, three for the dac chip, one for the pfm flea powered tentlabs clock and two for the anologue stages.

Now I only have five :( Bypassed the anologue stage so two became redundant. You can't have enough psu's.

advertisement

Back