advertisement

What was/is your favourite CD player

My first Philips CD 104 Built like a tank, my next to last Pioneer CD-91 and my new current one Yamaha CD-S2100 Incredible player.

All those Sonys but not a CDP715 .Which is a cracker and sounds better than any of the ES or ESD players .It sounds uncommonly clear, open and 3D.

Sorry, just reading through the thread and saw this. I ran a 715E a few years ago and it was a cracker. I now I have it's rarer big brother, the 915E in a second system, which is outstanding. I think Sony only made the 715 and 915 for about a year because the chipset became too expensive.

However, the best CDP I've ever owned has to be a CDS2/555PS, which pisses all over any digital source I've ever heard.

Rotel RCD 965BXii........I’ve not come across a CD Player that sounds as good and this post has me wondering if they deployed a proprietary dac technology, or a now defunct one? Other than that, I had a Naim CDX 2, very good too.

It’s an astonishing player, even now. I’ve got mine plugged into the pre-amp of my Quad Artera Play+ and am really rather floored at how good it is. It was used in budget systems in the past so I evidently never heard what it was capable of. One of those rare bits of kit where music just blossoms out of the speakers making your system sound far bigger than it is (I’m using stand mount speakers!). I’m really quite shocked how good it is to be honest...

Funnily enough I’m looking for a Naim CDX2.2 as well - evidently similar tastes! :)

I’ve got a Quad 99 CDP-2 now. I only have a dozen CDs and I don’t play them, but just love the design. The digital inputs are handy for streaming via a Chromecast. Also, the variable output makes it handy when using vintage preamps eg. Quad 34.

Seriously enjoying the SONYCDP- X55ES- might be the cheeky wooden side panels mind... not really just plays a lovely tune, who needs accuracy.:)

Started out with a Pioneer stable platter jobbie many, many moons ago, then CDi, CDS2, CDS3 and eventually CD555. Been CD playerless for about 5 years but currently have in residence a dCS Rossini player (waiting for my Rossini DAC to be born) which piddles over everything else before it. Tellingly the SQ is basically identical as a network player. Very tiny differences but I couldn’t say which is “better”

It’s an astonishing player, even now. I’ve got mine plugged into the pre-amp of my Quad Artera Play+ and am really rather floored at how good it is. It was used in budget systems in the past so I evidently never heard what it was capable of. One of those rare bits of kit where music just blossoms out of the speakers making your system sound far bigger than it is (I’m using stand mount speakers!). I’m really quite shocked how good it is to be honest...

Funnily enough I’m looking for a Naim CDX2.2 as well - evidently similar tastes! :)
Hi, most interesting..I have had a mooch about and all i can see are rotel rcd 965 bx ( is that the same model? )

I’ve got a Quad 99 CDP-2 now. I only have a dozen CDs and I don’t play them, but just love the design. The digital inputs are handy for streaming via a Chromecast. Also, the variable output makes it handy when using vintage preamps eg. Quad 34.
I have one too...most useful cd player ever! If I use mine straight into quad 909 it sounds pretty good

Didn't think much of cd until I heard an early accuphase combo. And around the same time liked the Teac T1/P1 combo. I use an Accustic Arts sacd player which is a top loader, good sound and build. If I had the money would like to try the Orpheus sacd player.

I'm using a Rotel RCD965BX as a transport into a Chord Qutest - doesn't get used that often but still sounds great and in the 25+ years I've had it I can count on one hand the number of discs it's refused to play.

Had a few players in the past but present line up is:
Naim CDS2/XPS. Brilliant machine and easily outclassed the CDi it replaced. XPS was eventually modded by Avondale and that lifted it a lot further. CDS2 currently unwell, probably laser problem - must get it serviced.
Rega Isis valve. Great machine, different to but clearly better than CDS2. Warmer and more analogue sound, and works best connected to Osiris.
Lyngdorf CD2. Impressive - fraction of the price of the Isis and gives nothing away to that machine. Connected via spdif link to Lyngdorf 3400 (so bypassing its own Dac) the sound is just astonishing. Probably needs to be operated that way to give its best.

I know that it's all personal and we all hear differently, but I really can't agree that CD is unable to match the sound quality of streaming, in fact quite the reverse (although I do listen mostly via streaming for the convenience and choice!)

Favourite in terms of owning one: Arcam Alpha +. Favourite in terms of best I ever heard: Linn CD12, absolutely streets ahead of anything else I've heard.

Couple of Cambridge CDPs then went separate transport/DAC route with AN and Rega DACs, then Quad Artera Play CD/Pre/DAC, and now Chord 2Qute fed by the first CDP I bought (Cambridge 350c). It's the best digital I've had. The Quad was a better sounding transport but seemed wasted for what it worth.

The best ever CD replay I've heard was a top AN CDP as part of a demo system - can't recall which. Mind-blowingly good.

Demoed a Rega Saturn R too once and was really impressed. Used with my own amp, in store, and speakers I ended up owning. Actually made a stronger overall impression than the Rega DAC I eventually owned (still nice). Would be interesting to compare the Saturn/DAC directly.

The only CD players that seem to linger around here are Meridian,just because they have been so reliable, and go on for years, presently using an 800 v 2,but I think the best value for money would probably be the 508.24,great sounding player, and a timeless look

Hi, most interesting..I have had a mooch about and all i can see are rotel rcd 965 bx ( is that the same model? )

Yes that’s the one. There was a Limited Edition Discrete (RCD-965BX LE) model too, though generally people seemed to prefer the more exciting sound of the original.

advertisement

Back