• Vertere

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 116 43.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am still (and probably for life) rocking this:

IMG-6237.jpg

I can freely switch between belt and idler (rim) drive, so have those two options on the ready.

For a direct drive option, the other system features a Technics SL-1210MK7.

I am still (and probably for life) rocking this:

IMG-6237.jpg

I can freely switch between belt and idler (rim) drive, so have those two options on the ready.

For a direct drive option, the other system features a Technics SL-1210MK7.
If ye told us what it was, perhaps we could appreciate it more ? 😎

Apologies - it is a DIY jobbie I detailed here:

I've mentioned it several times on the "system pics" threads and di not want to further spam. :)

Clearaudio concept mc with LDA power supply on a mana clamp
Rega planar 3 from 1996 with goldring 1042mm

Interesting rotation Rob, how do you find the relative strengths and weaknesses of the 3?

Interesting rotation Rob, how do you find the relative strengths and weaknesses of the 3?
Hi Paul,

The Rega is super accurate and seems to impart no character, basically you hear the cartridge. If you want warm and cosy vinyl sound, don't buy a P10!

The Gyro sounds deep and wide, it always has majored on scale and soundstage.

Technics, well I own that because I collect cartridges and that removable headshell is a must, plus I like to spin the odd 78.
Sounds a little smaller scale, denser than the Rega or Michell and a tad darker but of course it nails pitch like little else.

Just purchased a new turntable. The Vertere MG-1 replaces a Well Tempered Versalex. Just haven’t got around to selling the Versalex yet (any interest?)

Peter

A Garrard 401 in a custom plinth with a Nottm Analogue Omega Point arm, and a Lenco with the arm replaced by a Mayware Formula 4 that gets very little use. The Garrard is the deck of choice. Brilliant timing, solid bass, lovely.

Rega P10 and Technics SL1200G. Both in constant use.

As mentioned above, the Rega is highly accurate and you just hear what your cartridge retrieves from the record. The Technics allows me to swap carts (which I like doing), is a little more laid back but is also pitch perfect and more enjoyable in the lower registers. Having said this, I think that the choice of cart and phono stage can change the characteristics of both significantly.

I’m quite jealous of you Rob and Tim as I’m perhaps like others who would love 3 or 4 turntables for enjoyment given there isn’t a perfect one, I’d enjoy rotating them in and out. No particular desire to do that with digital or amps but the mechanical jewelry that is turntables and perhaps speakers, well that’s just fun.

I’m quite jealous of you Rob and Tim as I’m perhaps like others who would love 3 or 4 turntables for enjoyment given there isn’t a perfect one, I’d enjoy rotating them in and out. No particular desire to do that with digital or amps but the mechanical jewelry that is turntables and perhaps speakers, well that’s just fun.
3 or 4 just isn't enough, though. I find 32 gives you a much better range of options and different sonic presentations...

lol, well I’ve owned a few and part of me wishes I still had all of them. There’s just something enjoyable about tinkering with turntables, arms and cartridges. Irrational but somehow the curiosity never wanes for me. I wonder how my first Pink Triangle and Syrinx PU-3 would sound now, the SME10 I had several years ago, the new Denon, a GR or G, for no good reason at all beyond fond memories or liking the look of them and their engineering approaches.

advertisement

Back