advertisement

What no cricket thread ?

Bad light stopping play, did you see the lights they had at the Ageas Bowl, what do they need a glowing ball?

About time test match cricket came into the 21st century.

Apparently the spectators find the pink ball hard to see, according to several reports on TMS.

Mmm... well I’ve been to plenty of test match cricket, and even in bad light the only thing stopping me see the ball was a bit too much ale...

They have to keep things safe as not seeing a 80 mph + ball is not recommended !
However a bit more flexibility is needed , allow spin only for a while to see if things improve , earlier start to allow more time per day , brighter floodlights if required .
I am not sure about the pink ball as it is different in use to the red and chopping and changing balls could be unfair

Crawley's making a good case to replace Root today - as a batsman. I used to think that it was just the captaincy for Root getting in the way, but he's got nothing much to show for the summer again. He just seems to be in decline, no centuries at all, which is the standard we judge eveyone else by.

Last edited:
Crawley playing really well, Buttler repaying the faith & Root out to a complete ripper. England have had a good summer thus far.

Career defining innings for Crawley. If he’s replacing anyone it’s Burns or Sibley. Be great for all 3 to hit form 2nd innings...

Yes Crawleys looking the real deal - he has a solid defence and likes scoring on both sides of the wIcket.

I am liking the direction Silverwood is taking the test team.

Crawley will replace either of the openers in due course. My feeling is that neither opener will last long-term as they both have suspect techniques - Thorpe will need to help them or they will perish. Crawley plays much straighter than either, and therefore gives fewer chances.

Root once again taking incoming on here from some, despite a very comparable win average as captain, and a 48+ batting average. Again the commentators both on TMS and Sky said the ball that got him out was a beauty.

Buttler getting better at test batting each time. If he sorts his keeping out and becomes a little more consistent, then he will remain.

For me, its Archer who needs to repay the faith. I'm a mark Wood fan big time, so Archer needs to prove his worth.

Crawley will replace either of the openers in due course. My feeling is that neither opener will last long-term as they both have suspect techniques - Thorpe will need to help them or they will perish. Crawley plays much straighter than either, and therefore gives fewer chances.

Root once again taking incoming on here from some, despite a very comparable win average as captain, and a 48+ batting average. Again the commentators both on TMS and Sky said the ball that got him out was a beauty.

Buttler getting better at test batting each time. If he sorts his keeping out and becomes a little more consistent, then he will remain.

For me, its Archer who needs to repay the faith. I'm a mark Wood fan big time, so Archer needs to prove his worth.

Interesting, I like Wood he's a great character and fine bowler but a bit of a sick note. That's a problem for a quickie, especially on a tour. Archer does need to focus and improve but is capable of devastating spells.

Interesting, I like Wood he's a great character and fine bowler but a bit of a sick note. That's a problem for a quickie, especially on a tour. Archer does need to focus and improve but is capable of devastating spells.

Agreed. But Archer is in there to bowl 90+. If the captain/coach are going to use him at less speeds than that, then they should say so, and manage expectations accordingly. Wood's injury history is a worry, but there is no doubting his team ethos and effort. In that way he is similar to Woakes - another favourite of mine.

Agreed. But Archer is in there to bowl 90+. If the captain/coach are going to use him at less speeds than that, then they should say so, and manage expectations accordingly. Wood's injury history is a worry, but there is no doubting his team ethos and effort. In that way he is similar to Woakes - another favourite of mine.

The Wood/Archer thing for home series also works both ways. If you want them to produce, then pitches with pace aimed at swingers like Jimmy and Stuart will not cut it. But then you need to be sure the batsmen can cope on faster wickets and that might be the problem.

We are quite blessed with bowling options, if players don’t warrant their place then they lose it.

Wood is an excellent bowler who is worth his place but his injury record means he will need to be rotated.

advertisement

Back