advertisement

What Japanese made Turntable you having?

I have a Pioneer Pl 570 which is a lovely TT. It's good sounding although it doesn't sound as good as my main TT but it is the one I wouldn't sell. Semi auto too which is great after a few beers

Usually have four set and usable at any one time - currently a DP-61F Denon , DP- 45F Denon , Sony PS-X555ES and a technics SL-M1 . Not currently being played but also have enjoyed a couple of JVC QL-y5f , technics sl-1200 , a 1210 and a really nasty lookin SL-1200 that I gave up on the arm and mounted a Rega RB-250 on , a technics SL-150-II with a SME 3 and a couple of other Denon servo armed tables whoose model numbers i can't remember right now . And a Sony Bio-tracer whoose arm I gave up on after several days of fiddlin and removed the arm and installed a origin Live Alliance arm on (works a treat), 2 SL-7 techies that need work ,
And a highly modified Linn LP-12 with a Rega RB-250 arm on it..Am a Linn trained TT mechanic and i really do like these tables - a bit out of a working mans reach nowadays.
So -question is either do I need a 12 step turntable program or where are the meetings ?

Mine's an SP-10, which I'm using with a DL-103 mounted on a Jelco tone arm.
4da4e4ab6c01f38da2db52500294bd5a.jpg

I run an SL1210 as a 2nd deck. I have swapped out the arm though, for an RB251. Some people reckon the stock arm is as good, but I find the noise floor to be lower with the Rega. I assume that this down to resonance. For the money, it's a great deck and it'll run forever.

Maybe buy a cartridge? Just a suggestion.

I reckon that's for my pic of the cart-less Micro Seiki. Which cart would you like to see? I can take another pic with a cart showing, though I really couldn't be arsed to do it for you. The SME is still currently without a headshell or cart installed (but it's one of those fancy removable headshell ones, so I can set one up in a few ticks if you'd like). The FR54 on it has a Thorens MCH II installed.

Methinks you're one of those "twunts" mentioned in another thread though. So don't hold your breath.

it seems like there are not many new Japan Turntable manufacturer nowadays

the era where the likes of Micro Seiki reigning the turntable world are gone

The likes of Tech-Das (former Micro Seiki people) and even Air Tight (aka Acoustic Masterpiece) would probably disagree with you. Kondo make the Ginga (actually made for them by Final) and Ikeda still make tonearms and cartridges. Audio Tekne mak a high mass turntable design from graphite, Shindo Labs do refurbed Garrards. Lots of other good Japanese arms & cartridges still being made too.

resurrecting an old thread,
here's mine i just bought from germany,its a pioneer plc-1700 japan only tt,made in 1973,veneered in rio rosewood!
the arm is interesting,it looks to be a sony pua-114 but without the bias dial,this uses a weight and line,any info on this arm would be appreciated.

lllll_zpsflq6zko2.jpg

oo_zpsypmfacsx.jpg
[/IMG]

That looks really nice! Not seen one before, it looks far more modular than anything I've seen from Pioneer before, e.g. motor unit, plinth and arm-board being separate entities. Looks like a more solidly engineered PL71, which is a pretty good place to start.

That looks really nice! Not seen one before, it looks far more modular than anything I've seen from Pioneer before, e.g. motor unit, plinth and arm-board being separate entities. Looks like a more solidly engineered PL71, which is a pretty good place to start.

It has the same plinth as the PL-71, but designed for 3rd party arms whereas the PL-71 has a fixed tonearm.

thanks tony,
here's some more info on it. http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-PLC-1700.html
i decided after some advice to get a direct drive,i didnt want to go down the lp-12 upgrade path so after flicking through ebay germany i took a gamble,despite being packed really well the lid was damaged,the turntable thankfully was fine.

even with a crap headshell and at91 cartridge it sounds bloody marvellous!

Sony TTS-8000 with SME IV and Audio Technica Art-1

mmm.. I like this one!

The only ones I've come across over the years have either been faulty or looked like they have been used in a working environment (a euphemism for "cosmetically abused"). Yours looks like it's in great nick.

I have a fairly extensive collection of Japanese turntables, one of which, a Luxman PD-300, also runs with an SME IV.

advertisement

Back