advertisement

What Japanese made Turntable you having?

I have a Technics SL150 and Sony 5525 but I don't use them.
I think there is still a JVC QLA7 buried in the garden shed.

I'de quite the the motor unit from a QL10.

Must land a Technics SP10 at some point.

I have a Kenwood PC-200 rim drive amongst my collection. I'd completely forgotten about it until now.

Japanese turntables you say? Well currently I have:

Aiwa LP-3000
Technics SL-MA1
Technics SL-M3
Technics SP-10
Pioneer PL-L1
Sony Biotracer PS-B80
Sony TTS-8000
and a Vestax PDX-D3Mk2.

And plenty of others still on my 'wanted' list!

Micro Seiki DDX-1000
DSC_0004_zps8dae7af8.jpg

The SME has now moved to the left position, and the other base supports a Fidelity Research FR54.

I really wanted to keep investing in the Technics SL-3200 I have here, with its direct drive and better features, so I replaced the stylus for a new elliptical one (keeping the existing Technics cart). The SL-3200 is much easier for the family to use as I get them into vinyl - I purchased a couple of modern pop vinyl issues for the girlies in the house - Sam Smith for my wife and One Direction for my daughter.

Sam Smith sounder so flat, dull and lifeless I nearly returned it to Amazon based on the recording quality alone. Unfortunately the Technics was to blame because the Rega Planar 2 from the same era totally transformed and lifted the sound to the point where it was very good indeed.

This was not my hope - because if the girls want to use vinyl, the Technics is so much easier to use. This sort of puts me off the Jap Technics design and therefore makes me think the English Rega is a much better bet albeit more fiddly to use in comparison.

it seems like there are not many new Japan Turntable manufacturer nowadays

the era where the likes of Micro Seiki reigning the turntable world are gone

The Sony turntable looks very nice. I would love to test that one out.

I think we can draw the conclusion that the Japanese have made some very nice turntables.

advertisement

Back