advertisement

What is your current system? part II

2672034273_622336b27a.jpg

How do you like the Mapfumo? So far, I haven't been able to understand why many people rate him, to me he sounds nothing special. I only had one album from him, though, and have heard a few tracks on the radio, so I'd be willing to give him another chance.

How do you like the Mapfumo? So far, I haven't been able to understand why many people rate him, to me he sounds nothing special. I only had one album from him, though, and have heard a few tracks on the radio, so I'd be willing to give him another chance.
He's a bit closer to Franco and Zaiko Langa Langa than the SA groups of the period, which suits me. I like him, can't say I get super excited about his work, though. Our magical friend has a Mapfumo track on his 30-second extract System test CD, which we played through some Westlakes one time. That was most entertaining. Musically, Franco will always be the uncontested king of African pop.

All this information that PF members have supplied would probably be a lot more use if it was on a spreadsheet or database - don't ya think?

Terrific free market research. Don't forget to put yoiur contact details so the
marketing boys can make the best use if it!

Well, fair point - unfortunately, I already have bothered. In truth, I think the thread is a bit of fun too - it's just that I have seen the spreadsheet the Wam are doing and thought this thread might be better represented as one.

that's for the sole purpose of the proposed hifi meeting after xmas and to have a list of what kit will (hopefully) be displayed...

I've gone bi (as in bi-amp) ;)

Decided to bite the bullet but owing to the ever-increasing number of boxes on the shelf I've had a pair of A40 power amps built into one A80 case. The increase in clarity and overall sound quality is quite startling (the 40 drives the tweeters) and was greater than I'd expected to be honest.

The only downer is that all the Statement NVA gear has had to go back...although I'd taken loads of photos of it to send to Santa saying 'I want some of these please' :D

Edited - with the obligatory photos...

IMG_2603.jpg

Above is Pioneer PL71/Thruno's counterweight and headshell weight/DL103/Sumiko Headshell
Audiotech table
NVA Phono2/psu
NVA P90sa pre
2xA80 mono's & A40 mono's (in a single box - this sits on top of the rack). Separating the A80's (they were stacked) has brought about a definite improvement in dynamics and focus.
CA Azur 840C
Squeezebox 3 (using 840's DAC)
Royd Merlins on Something Solid stands
NVA Sound Cord interconnects/NVA LS5 to bass units/LS1 to tweeters.

And the Statement kit that's now gone back...

IMG_2586.jpg

Interesting case (pun attempted).

Did you put your hand on top of the bottom A80 when they were stacked? I did, and separated mine immediately. Not that it was directly hot, but I didn't like the idea of the warmth spreading from a small spot to the entire surface.

Did you put your hand on top of the bottom A80 when they were stacked? I did, and separated mine immediately. Not that it was directly hot, but I didn't like the idea of the warmth spreading from a small spot to the entire surface.

Hi - I can't remember any real warmth as such from the lower A80, in fact I think they seemed about the same ie just the tiniest bit of 'warming' on one patch of their top panels. If I run my hand over the top of the 80's now I can feel something similar but it's hardly noticable unless the amps are being driven at high-ish volume. The one-box A40 is slightly warmer but it's consistent regardless of volume. If I held my hand on the perspex case for 5 mins the resultant warming from my hand would be greater.

All I'll say is that they sound absolutely great. :)

Its all down to the load the speaker presents. Gromits Royds are very benign, but if you can manage it then it is better to seperate the amps. The heat is steady because the driver, input and pre-driver stages give off constant heat, if it is the output stage being stressed the heat would be variable with volume, also interestingly one of the hotest internal sources is the voltage dropper resistor on the LED, which is again constant.

That's a beautiful looking system you have there Gromit :)

Out of interest, does the 840c get much use now other than as a DAC for the SB3?

Lefty

That's a beautiful looking system you have there Gromit :)

Out of interest, does the 840c get much use now other than as a DAC for the SB3?

Lefty

Thanks Lefty :)

The 840C? I really can't remember the last time I used it as a CD player, it really does only get used for its DAC. I'm still mulling the idea over but am 90% convinced I'm going to sell it and get a much smaller stand-alone DAC. Any CD's I want to play can get put into the DVD player.

Basic system is:

Systemdek IIX W/ Profile Arm and Sumiko BPS MC cartridge

NAD PP-2 phono preamp

Linn Classik CD/Receiver

Linn Kan 1 speakers/Linn Kan V speakers on Kan 1 stands

Nordost 6' run of 12 gauge speaker cable

Vintage gear

Solid State Amplification

Naim NAC 62/42 Hicap NAP 110
Electrocompaniet Preamplwire llA/Ampliwire 65
NAD 3130

Cassette Decks

Nakamichi 700 Tri Tracer
Sony Prowalkman WMD-6C

Tube Amplification

Quicksilver Mini Mite tube monoblocks
Antique Sound Lab Wave AV 25 monoblocks

Tuners:
Pioneer TX-7800
(2) McIntosh MR-65B
Marantz Model 125
Tandberg 3011A
Yamaha T-1
Revox B261
Kenwood KT- 5300
Pilot MKIV
NAD 402
Sansui TU-217

And still growing....

Enjoy the music!
Jimmyblues

I am currently playing with MP3 and lossless of varying qualities via an old PC and a Toshiba 220 DVD player as a transport, with a Technics SU-MA10 amp with on board DAC.

Cables are Ixos for transport and PC, Naim Nac for speakers.

The speakers are Kef R107 (fully serviced and in good working order), with Kube, which is wired with Chord Chorus to and from the amp.

Wired to this as a control reference I have a EAD Theatervision P for CD transport via a Genesis Digital Lense, both wired up with Chord Pro Digital into the amp's DAC.

Mains cables are RA via Tacima mains blocks.

A bit of a miss match I guess, but I am playing with things as one does.. as I always do... after all all cables and digital sources are the same....

DPA50S pre
DPA50S power
DPA50S Phono stage
DPA PDM 1.3 dac
DPA T1 transport
Technics sl1210/Clearaudio rb250
Impulse H2
MF x-cans headphone amp

Not exactly current but still sounds great. The selector on the pre crackles when you change source and the transport has occasionally needed a second attempt at reading discs so they could do with a service but DPA is long gone.

advertisement

Back