advertisement

What hifi system would you choose up to 25k

Fox's audio
rumblings make the room
metamorphosize

Needs work, but I wanted to get metamorphosize in as a 5er. fox + 's as two syllables may be stretching the rules.
I think 'metamorphosize' isn't a word. 'Metamorphose' fits better too.

I really think so.

Paul

notice how, despite
Merlin's glacial protests.
I remain happy?

And finally and epic flounce using a bardic meter of six on four:

There are so many ways:
Caesurae to volta
But in this thread, it seems
This pony has bolted

(Escapes in time for down ranking due to bad aliterathingummy)

JBL have produced something to rival the utterly sublime ATC midrange dome? I'm impressed if that's true.

I think the difference is JBL keep on trying to better their systems rather than assuming what they did 20 years ago was perfection...

I've heard Meyer x10's and once you listen to percussion, guitar, etc on something that visceral it's hard to go back. It might be a bit intense though for long term home listening but if you want a system that excites you every morning when you turn it on, that's it. Ugly though and really need to be 'in-wall' mounted.

I think the difference is JBL keep on trying to better their systems rather than assuming what they did 20 years ago was perfection...
I disagree, as I understand it ATC has engaged in R&D and provided improved components in the last twenty years up to the present date.

I'm sure ATC have been chipping away at things there but if you read up on what JBL have done with their D2 driver you'll get what I mean about putting real R&D muscle behind speaker development.

To be fair Andy, a little company like ATC really don't have the resources to do the R&D work that Harman can.

I have no doubt that the effort expended on the development of the D2 alone would have come close to bankrupting smaller companies.

To be fair Andy, a little company like ATC really don't have the resources to do the R&D work that Harman can.

I have no doubt that the effort expended on the development of the D2 alone would have come close to bankrupting smaller companies.

I know, just stirring the pot up a little bit before the weekend. I'll leave now...:)

Oh no don't Andy :)

900x900px-LL-91849f4f_Tech_R5.jpeg

1000atc.3.jpg

That is the SCM70, not a current ATC speaker - but you knew that anyway, Merlin. I am very curious about how the current models fare with the new in-house tweeter, though! Hopefully better.

Darren, the midrange, tweeter and crossover are the same on all models, the reason for the '70 measurement is it's the only one available. It will be the same for the others.

The new tweeter will indeed most likely sound superb. It will not, and cannot, correct the off axis discrepancy though - that is caused by crossing the midrange dome over at 3.5khz, by which point it is more directional than the HF unit.

As I've said before, this really isn't an issue in the studio where first reflections are well damped so it's not a problem for the intended application - nor anywhere else provided care is taken.

But you have to take your hat off to Harman and their R&D team.

That is the SCM70, not a current ATC speaker - but you knew that anyway, Merlin. I am very curious about how the current models fare with the new in-house tweeter, though! Hopefully better.

Who needs a tweeter when you can get a single driver to do the mids and most of the highs anyway.

advertisement

Back