advertisement

What hifi system would you choose up to 25k

It's also worth bearing in mind that speakers like the JBL you mentioned are almost twice the price of even the ATC SCM150asl - and that's excluding the required amplification.

You would expect advantages given the price hike.

JBL have produced something to rival the utterly sublime ATC midrange dome? I'm impressed if that's true.

There are those who might say that in some ways they bettered it 30 years ago Bub. You really should try to listen to some big modern JBL's or speakers based on the drive units like Westlakes. Just so that you can have an inkling as to why.

If possible, try to get a listen to the M2 Reference Monitor and let us know what you think. From reports I've received, it's quite a step forward in many respects when it comes to the studio monitor. I was tempted myself but couldn't find a pair to listen to prior to purchase.

Let's see, seven lines, seven syllables. My challenge for precaffeinated Friday mornings.

ATCs are the old foo.
JBLs are the new foo.
The latter found in Japan.
In boutiques, where they belong.
For drunken corporate types;
Dodging Fukushima's worst.
Living upwind of fallout.

Post caffeine, seven lines seven syllables. Edgier but less outward looking, more insular speaks to our own kind rather than comments on the environment.

Studios are probably
the best place for ATC,
the secret is in the name:
"Pro studio monitors"
and not HiFi Loudspeakers...
It's pretty simple really.
But audiophiles don't read.

Hi,

I'm after a new hifi system and have a budget of up to 25k,
I've listened to b&w 803 diamonds and 802 diamonds, Kef reference 205, pmc twenty 26 and fact 8.
I have a demo for atc 150 active tomorrow, and b&w 802 diamonds with musical fidelity on the Weekend.
So far the b&w diamonds run with naim which was over my budget about 36k in total is the best I have heard.
I didn't like the Kef speakers, and the pmc were good but didn't do it for me either.

What systems do you guys have for that type of money , or what would you go for ?

Thanks,
Paul.

I would not waste £25K on a Hi-Fi system

I think you will find it's the other way around Fox :)

It's maybe more a case of "The Drunken Master Fights Back"

Challenge accepted: I thought about

ATCs are the old foo
But JBLs become foo
When paraded by Merlin
A self-aggrandising fop
irate at the happiness
Of people's satisfaction
that he does not approve of

Ok a slight heptametric ad-hom, as I think you are probably not a fop, (I doubt floppy cuffs are your style) but you're a big boy and you can cope.

I need a pretzel.

5udyjeva.jpg

I apologise Fox for daring to suggest that there is a product in the universe that just might offer some qualities that eclipse the output of Stroud's finest.

I don't wish to sound arrogant (far from it) but at least I have owned and listened to both options at length and am therefore possibly better equipped to make a comparison?

That doesn't even scan!
What is this? Some kind of
Horrid beatnik poem
by Roger McGough on
Sunday's Radio 4
Naff poem requests show?

(Hexameters are to the new fu)

I apologise Fox to dare to suggest,

There's a speaker from Harman that betters the rest.

It's off axis response is a thing to behold,

A lesson in uniformity if truth be told.

The result a loudspeaker more accurate and true,

The facts may hurt, but it's better than Foo.

Four on four

See? if you try
It's not too hard
But it reveals
You are no bard.

Maybe haiku?

adetytes.jpg

Fives double/double and parenthesised sixes. the harrumph might be stretching it but onomatopoeia is cool in hepta/hexametric freestyle.

Pony poetry
thread crapping by rhyme
(I do it all the time -
Watching Merlin harrumph,
A feeling most sublime).

Still up for haiku?

Fox's audio
rumblings make the room
metamorphosize

Needs work, but I wanted to get metamorphosize in as a 5er. fox + 's as two syllables may be stretching the rules.

Two of nine:

Extra points to the Teutonic mod
(and his English is better than mine)

advertisement

Back