advertisement

What hifi system would you choose up to 25k

Andy, the usual problem, as Merlin refers to, is maintaining wide dispersion at higher frequencies. If JBL have solved this, that's indeed a breakthrough advance.

For the current ATC models the 30 degrees horizontal off-axis response is pretty similar to the on-axis response, certainly in respect of the mid/tweeter crossover region. So I am less inclined than Merlin to blame dispersion of the mid unit. There may be a trade-off elsewhere that isn't obvious? I can't be sure - but hence my hope for some improvement from the new tweeter.

As a general comment, it's only worth making serious comparisons when measurements have been taken by the same (independent) people with the same procedure and equipment.

Andy, the usual problem, as Merlin refers to, is maintaining wide, even dispersion at higher frequencies.

Do you really need that to enjoy a system?

There's an argument for keeping dispersion tight = less room interaction. Why do people get so hang up on the off axis response. By the time that wide dispersion energy is reflected back to the listener it's alot less 'even' than when it left the speakers. Who sits off axis when listening to gear anyway.

Do people think that their wide dispersion speakers are exciting the listening room in the same manner as live instruments would. Sorry, but that's not the way things work. You're better off exciting the reverberant field less and concentrate on getting the direct field as accurate as possible.

Do people think that their wide dispersion speakers are exciting the listening room in the same manner as live instruments would. Sorry, but that's not the way things work. You're better off exciting the reverberant field less and concentrate on getting the direct field as accurate as possible.

I would agree if you don't want to be at the mercy of the room and want to hear more of what's on the recording.

Some people really don't like that though, preferring to visualize the musicians in the room with them. There's no wrong or right IMHO - although there IS when it comes to accuracy in most domestic living rooms.

The new M2 is supposed to offer the best of both worlds. It would be interesting to try them at home.

I think someone described the M2 horn as something out of 'Day of The Triffids' which was astute.

I'm finally getting some spare time away from the kids and the business and would like to play away with some proper gear at home. S9800's (non SE) do turn up for well under £10k now and again.

I recently saw a minty pair for £7.5K which is a lot of exceptional speaker for the money Andy. Rare though, even shipping from Japan works out more than that.

To be fair, the K2 was almost entirely dependent on ages old technology - it was effectively a homage to the glories of the past.

The M2 however points to a bold future. I would still err towards a nice tube amp driving the older speaker, but were I looking for a main mastering monitor, I suspect the newer device would win hands down.

Just looked at the spec of the M2, it states:
Recommended Amplifier Power: 1,200Watts into 8 Ohms
Input Connections: Spring Terminals

Maybe they use quite large springs?

advertisement

Back