advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

King Creosote at the community theatre in Aboyne, Aberdeenshire.

Seven piece band, very entertaining and easy going. Not the last word in smooth professionalism and all the more enjoyable for it.

Saw Duane Eddy last year at the Festival Hall backed by Richard Hawley and his band 1st class trouper sounded just like his records.

Regards,

Martin

Saw Cold Blood last night at a local blues festival. Lydia Pense can still do it – she sounded terrific. Maybe not quite the power she once had, but her voice is in terrific shape and she was totally engaged in rockin' the place down. She moves exactly like she did way back when (based on youtube footage I've seen, anyway). They did a 15-minute rambling jam that came and went and ebbed and flowed and ducked and dodged and shucked and jived. It was awesome. Some great horn playing, including a trumpet through a wah pedal that just bent the mind.

Met her afterwards and she signed my copy of their first album. A good evening.

Last night - Philip Glass Ensemble, La Belle et la Bete a film by Jean Cocteau made silent with live 'opera' added. It went down really well with a near sell-out audience at the Edinburgh Playhouse. A great night out. An excellent 90 min version has been compiled by an enthusiast on YouTube.

The sound quality was dreadful, PA system I guess - it was sharp, splodged and agressive. I am used to a pure, live orchestra or chamber group at the Usher Hall or Queens Hall - perhaps I have been spoilt.

Owen Pallet at the Village Underground...not knowing what to expect as I was daughter chaperone it was really very good...he is one talented chap.

The B-52s last night at the Indig02 - absolutely tip top fun.
The venue itself is a bit bland/Hollyoaks night club, but the sound and sightlines are superb.
I'm suffering a bit today though.

Last night at The Hub Edinburgh.

Messiaen, one of the bird catalogue pieces for solo piano -good

Stockhausen, Kontakte. It was fun to see it performed, especially the percussion. I was looking over the shoulder of the guy at the electronics desk. The sound moving around the room was impressive. The audience were very enthusiastic and it was recorded for a future Radio 3 broadcast. I felt that the electronic sounds could have been louder and more aggressive as they are on Stockhausen's own CD.

A good night out.

Last night in Belfast at belsonic in custom house square..

Starter,

Runaway Go.

Main course,

James.

Dessert,

Suede.

All were fantastic but I have to admit I preferred James by some margin. The mrs liked Suede more but that is just because she wants to marry Brett Anderson.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Tonhalle Orchestra, Usher Hall.

Brahms Violin Concerto. Superb performance by Frank Peter Zimmermann. Went down a treat with a near sell-out audience. Lovely sounding Strad. I am not sure what the encore was.

Bruckner 3 was very good, I always wanted to see what the string section was doing with their bows. (I played violin in orchestras a long time ago). The programmes at the Edinburgh Festival are really very poor this year and comments about Bruckner's odd character are not appreciated. In the expensive seats around me there was unease but the stalls were very enthusiastic.

The key to Bruckner for me is that he composed using a Church Organ.

A good night out.

Tanglewood Festival, last week.

Concert 1: Haitink conducting the Boston SO in Mahler's 4th and Mozart's 5th violin concerto with Isabelle Faust. This is the second time I've seen her live and I really like what she does: beautiful tone, with a fresh and dynamic take on an old favourite. But the BSO occasionally seemed a bit pedestrian (bored?) in the Mahler.

Concert 2 was Mozart's 9th piano concerto played by an old pro (Emmanuel Ax) and Mahler's 1st, both with the Tanglewood Music Center (essentially the young musicians who have spent their summer studying there) under the baton of Christoph von Dohnányi. Like Haitink, von D. is a remarkably spry 84 year old. He got an amazingly good performance out of his orchestra, especially in the Mahler: big sound, a lot of soul and enthusiasm from the performers, lots of vitality from everyone. No chair or stool on the rostrum: he directed the whole thing in a very precise, didactic manner and the result was very enjoyable. Overall, I much preferred the TMC's Mahler to the BSO's. (Charming Swedish soprano in the 4th, though.) The Mozart was a bit less together: fewer musicians and fewer big sound effects, so I suppose there's no way to hide any small lapses.

advertisement

Back