advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

I went to see Van Der Graaf Generator last night thanks to a very kindly donated ticket. They are a band I know next to nothing about other than for some reason I appear to have a copy of 'H Is To He Who Am The Only One' (though can't remember buying it or playing it before this week). They are a very strange band; two keyboards (mainly Hammond) and drums, now seemingly lacking the sax that appears on the records. I'd been revising a bit via Spotify, so actually recognised A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers! Good fun - rare one hears a band that's genuinely unlike anything else.

I make it a point to see LA every time she plays the UK. I may have to start doing this for KQ as well.

Well, they're coming back later this year. I think they're back at the Barbican again in September. Might be worth a look.

I was at the Barbican last night (middle of the third row!). Stunning gig, excellent sound and dynamics and brilliant set list combining old and new(ish) seamlessly.

Peter Hammill's intensity and passion, Hugh Banton’s concentration and supreme skill and Guy Evans who was just fantastic on the drums – spot on throughout.

VdGG have collectively given me my three favourite live moments…

• The encore at the Queen Elizabeth Hall when the rest of the band joined Hammill on stage at the end of a solo concert.
  • The re-union concert at the Royal Festival Hall, the best gig I’ve ever been to for so many reasons.
  • Playing “Plague of Lighthouse Keepers” last night, I finally heard it played live after nearly 40 years!

Serious fun - rare one hears a band that's genuinely unlike anything else.

How true - I've been banging on about VdGG for years.

Panic Room at Norwich Art Centre on Saturday -- get gig with a "best of" set list -- could have done with a few more folks there!
Steve

Last night at Jodrel Bank, Aussie Floyd and Hawkwind. Floyd were tremendous, did DSOTM as a 40th aniversery and were projecting some effects onto the the Lovel Telescope (one of the largest in the world)
A thirty foot pink kangaroo was fun too :D

Misty In Roots - Brighton, friday night.

They really poured it on - 8-piece with horn section, and a masterclass in 'tight' set/ensemble play. And epic bass wübz.

Misty_crop.jpg

Matthew E White at Leaf in Liverpool last Monday. Absolutely bloomin brilliant, as his his debut LP "Big Inner".

Hard Evidence (John Edwards-Double Bass, Steve Noble-Drums, Adrian Northover-Saxophone) interpreting the music of Thelonius Monk at the Horse Improv club near Waterloo. Best jazz gig I've been to since I last saw Steve Noble.

Crosby Stills and Nash, last night at the World Forum Theatre Den Haag. Fantastic band and both Crosby and Nash were in great form. Sadly can't say the same for Stephen Stills, always been a hero of mine, but he didn't look at all well and struggled with his voice. Still great on guitar though!

Zorn@60 at the Barbican last Friday - the man plus a variety of guests doing a variety of his music, including an hour or so of Electric Masada. Nice and noisy...

Also Zorn@60

The vocal piece was a wonderful revelation , wasn't sure about the string quartet

Dreamers / Electric Masada superb with the encore worth the price of admission alone!

The vocal piece was a wonderful revelation , wasn't sure about the string quartet
Probably heresy to some, but I would've enjoyed the female accapella piece much more if it'd been abridged in some way. As it was, Rogerson junior took the opportunity for a nap.

Dreamers / Electric Masada superb with the encore worth the price of admission alone!
+1

Also Zorn@60. I loved all of it but I think the Dreamers stuff was probably the least impressive. Mike Patton was great in the Moonchild stuff :)

Also saw Barry Harris at Pizza Express on Sunday. Fantastic as always - I'd recommend anyone who's not seen him to catch him next time.

Mogwai doing the soundtrack along to "Zidane, A 21st Century Portrait" at the Barbican last Friday. All very civilised, as you'd expect given the venue, but pleased they didn't feel they had to keep the volume down all the way through...

Also Zorn@60. I loved all of it but I think the Dreamers stuff was probably the least impressive.

Also Zorn @60 - great show - only bummer was I couldn't see Joey Baron from my seat - totally obscured by Cyro Baptista's massive percussion stand. I love watching Baron play.

A great, eclectic show - I enjoyed all of it - esp The Dreamers stuff! Mike Patton was fabulous, as was Jamie Saft - great beard!

Kevin

Went to Klub Motorik at The Windmill in Brixton last night, and saw a cracking triple bill of nu-kraut for the paltry sum of seven quid.
First up were Twelve, who were somewhere between kosmische and cosmic disco.
Second was Baltic Fleet, who were more Neu! influenced, but very much with their own sound.
Topping the bill were Eat Lights Become Lights, whose Modular Living album I've been playing a lot.
Despite having to break my rule of never drinking in a flat roofed pub, I had an excellent night out. It's a nicely down at heel venue, that looks and feels a bit like some early 80s throwback art centre. Pretty good sound as well.

advertisement

Back