advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Nakhane last night at Omeara in London.
Superb gig, amazing voice (even though he was suffering with a cold), and a great performer.
First time I'd been to Omeara, and I'm pretty impressed - nice space, good sightlines, excellent sound, and friendly helpful staff.

Public Service Broadcasting in Newport on Sunday - I love the early work but did not connect with the Every Valley album and tried to go with an open mind . The band and the audience really enjoyed themselves but I was left a bit flat - hoping to see The Men of Gwent with Jon Langford this weekend.

I feel the same, didn’t connect with Every Valley either. Quite like the Titanic EP but I think they peaked some time ago.

Cheers BB

King Crimson last night Birmingham Symphony Hall. Apart from some slightly weak vocals and a 5 minute drum solo during Schizoid it was fantastic. A blinding setlist for me anyway.

Saw the mighty Krim at Nottingham Royal Concert Hall last night: muted audience, but fantastic set list. Especially liked 'Starless'.

Baxter Dury last night at the Shepherds Bush Empire, supported by Alexis Taylor.
Enjoyable set from Alexis Taylor, including a cover of McCartney's wonky pop gem, Coming Up.
Then a cracking, splendidly sweary set from Baxter Dury.

Tonight - GoGo Penguin

Cowboy Junkies (Bridge Theatre, London)

The old magic is still there. Great set including stuff from the (excellent) new album ‘All that Reckoning’ and songs from ‘The Trinity Sessions’. Doing Bowie’s ‘Five Years’ as an encore was genius.

GoGo Penguin at the Concorde 2 in Brighton last night - thankfully excellent, after a really crap drive down there.

Saw them this (/last) evening at the RAH. Very enjoyable, and I absolutely loved the young lady, Andreya Triana, who supported (as well as a duo who I was less taken with).

Also saw Focus at the 100 Club on Saturday. A trip down memory lane, and the old tracks were performed with love by the band. Thijs van Leer now resembles Captain Birdseye more than any image of him I can recall from the 70’s, but he performed excellently, improvising many vocal parts out of aging necessity, but with a humour and passion that was truly enjoyable.

Meanwhile Pierre van der Linden was outstanding on the drum kit, knocking out a ten minute solo (remember drum solos??) that stood the test of time.

Anyway, a bucket list item ticked, to see the group who made the first album I ever bought!

Gogo Penguin at St Luke in Glasgow last Thursday - it was excellent, I'd go and see them again any day.

King Crimson last night at the Glasgow Concert Hall, very good also with a great set list (much from The Court of the Crimson King, which suited me). I enjoyed the 5 minute drum solo from Gavin Harrison, too.

Jimmy Coburn ( of Cavern Club Beatles fame) launching his solo album at The Cavern last sunday. Introduced by Julia Baird (Lennon), John Lennon's half sister.

Also saw Focus at the 100 Club on Saturday. A trip down memory lane, and the old tracks were performed with love by the band. Thijs van Leer now resembles Captain Birdseye more than any image of him I can recall from the 70’s, but he performed excellently, improvising many vocal parts out of aging necessity, but with a humour and passion that was truly enjoyable.

Meanwhile Pierre van der Linden was outstanding on the drum kit, knocking out a ten minute solo (remember drum solos??) that stood the test of time.

Anyway, a bucket list item ticked, to see the group who made the first album I ever bought!
Saw them last night at New Brighton Pavilion. I thought they were great, one of the best concerts that I've been to. Great light and shade and variation, from quiet melodic violining on the Les Paul, a beautiful and thoughtful bass solo, flute from serene to Tull-ey, to flat out driving hard bop improv. Real music with melody, reflection and passion. They still have some dates to play, so my advice is see them if you can.
First album I bought was Focus 3....still have it, still play it.

Interpol at the Royal Albert Hall. Simply the best at what they do, not that I can think of many others. Judging by the venue they seem to be growing in popularity though seem under-appreciated.

Certainly in my circle no one seems to know them or even have heard of them.

If you like them but are hesitating then go for it.

If you don't know them, begin with the first two albums and take it from there.

Interpol at the Royal Albert Hall. Simply the best at what they do, not that I can think of many others. Judging by the venue they seem to be growing in popularity though seem under-appreciated.

Certainly in my circle no one seems to know them or even have heard of them.

If you like them but are hesitating then go for it.

If you don't know them, begin with the first two albums and take it from there.
Last night in Manchester. Good set list, decent balance of old and new (not too much new thankfully :) ) Great lighting!

Gary Numan and the Skaparis Orchestra last night at the Shepherds Bush Empire.
Fabulously overblown, hugely entertaining, excellent arrangements, ace light show, brilliant atmosphere.
Anyone going to the RAH tonight, you are in for a treat.

I saw GoGo Penguin a couple of weeks ago at Newcastle Riverside. Very good, been wanting to see them live for a while now, 3 talented young lads. Agree re comments on the support, we had Andreya Triana and she was fantastic. Really engaging and the crowd really seemed to like, got one of her CD's since, not had time to rip or play it yet.

I also saw Father John Misty at the Sage and another cracking gig, he can really pull off a white suit!

Last night in Manchester. Good set list, decent balance of old and new (not too much new thankfully :) ) Great lighting!
Yes, for quite a static band on stage (except for guitarist) they have a great presence and intensity. and as you say good lights and dry ice. The new album is a bit iffy but I've come to like four songs now whereas only the first song got under my skin at first.

My mate phoned a few months ago, Focus are on in November, shall we go? So, saw them In Scotland last Saturday, worth the hours of travel from the North West, very well performed, slightly (very?) self indulgent - well it is prog! Agree that Pierre was excellent but drum solos - meh!
I am ashamed to admit that I was surprised to find that Jan Akkerman left in 1976!

advertisement

Back