advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Terry Riley (with his son Gyan) at St. Lukes in Brighton last night.
Largely excellent I thought, with a gorgeous melodica/guitar duet being one of my favourite pieces.

Really should have remembered to bring some cushions for those bloody pews though.

Dr Feelgood last night in a small venue in Southport (The Atkinson). They play Liverpool next weekend (20th Oct) at the Epstein Theatre. Well worth catching if you can.

Martin Carthy and John Kirkpatrick at the Cutty Sark. Great performance, amazing setting (was down under the ship's hull), but seriously hard to get a good sound - very echo-y space - "the world's biggest bathroom" as Martin put it.

Rezillos in a tiny little Edinburgh venue. Last week. Non stop retro future sci fi pop punk with split visors. I didn’t bring the phone with me so I wasn’t able to take any photos, not that I was in any state to go out with all the dancing was going on.

They still got it

Killing Joke next in Glasgow, can’t wait

Antonio Forcione at Peggy's Skylight in Nottingham, good food and Antonio was on top form as usual.

Pete

David Byrne at the Brighton Centre last night, which was, again brilliant - fantastic band, tweaked set list from when I last saw him, excellent atmosphere.
Sadly, due to the herding cats nature of ten of us going, we missed pretty much all of Benjamin Clementine's set.

Public Service Broadcasting in Newport on Sunday - I love the early work but did not connect with the Every Valley album and tried to go with an open mind . The band and the audience really enjoyed themselves but I was left a bit flat - hoping to see The Men of Gwent with Jon Langford this weekend.

just seen David Byrne in Nottingham. Fantastic gig, truly original presentation of old stuff and American Utopia. The way it was put together was quite something. Good to watch, and the sound was very loud. The wife was blown away and put it in her top ten gigs. (she has seen Nina Simone at Ronnie Scotts as an example of her gig history)

The support act of 'The Clementines' (Benjamin Clementine and his new? wife) were terrible and I disliked all of it. I was expecting Benjamin to be warbling away to his quirky work, but they sounded like The Shires but worse (hard I know...) The missus didn't like them and thought she did most of the singing.

just seen David Byrne in Nottingham. Fantastic gig, truly original presentation of old stuff and American Utopia. The way it was put together was quite something. Good to watch, and the sound was very loud. The wife was blown away and put it in her top ten gigs. (she has seen Nina Simone at Ronnie Scotts as an example of her gig history)

The support act of 'The Clementines' (Benjamin Clementine and his new? wife) were terrible and I disliked all of it. I was expecting Benjamin to be warbling away to his quirky work, but they sounded like The Shires but worse (hard I know...) The missus didn't like them and thought she did most of the singing.

We went to David Byrne at Manchester Arena last night and I agree with Big Tabs comments above a stunning show would love to have seen it at a theatre such as the Mcr Apollo with a more respectful audience (constant parade of folk up and down the aisles for toilet/beer/Nachos all night in the middle of songs (yes serving trays of nachos to eat in the stadium during the performance ffs). Can't they have an interval so the beered up can relief themselves and get another pint? it was like a concert in a thoroughfare (we were sat quite close to stairs) - I don't know how artists perform with such distractions.

The Clementines, why are these people on a stage? dreadful.

Glad to see everyone's been enjoying the David Byrne shows.

Last night: Trevor Horn at the QEH.
The very definition of a mixed bag - fantastic band (including Lol Creme) and string section (and some lovely arrangements), some great versions of his productions (Two Tribes, Relax, Cry, even that Tatu song sounded pretty good); but some OMFG, what were you thinking? covers (Take On Me, Brothers In Arms ffs, What's Love Got To Do With It, and an encore of Money For Nothing that had us running for the door) that had me shaking my head in disbelief.
I'm glad we went; as it was all entertaining I guess, but often for the wrong reasons.

Next up, Nakhane at Omeara on Tuesday.

Oh Christ, and a version of Blue Monday, which was OK; until some bellowing LA rocker type started singing and *shudder* playing harmonica over it.

Pleasant surprise though: Matt Cardle (he of some X Factory talent show or other) singing a cracking version of Slave To The Rhythm

Saw the David Byrne show in the 3Arena Dublin whilst knowing what to expect because of Youtube really enjoyed the show.
Agree the two dancers on I Zimbra are awesome. Great dance looks really cool and suits the track perfectly(One of my TH favs)
There are a few full shows up on Youtube. Quality in a number of them is so good how they can get that with a phone?

Graham Fellows - Old Town Hall, Hemel Hempstead.

Very poignant set about his life experiences, without relying on his other alter egos, just the odd words here and there.
Thought I would not enjoy this but had a really good time, especially his digs at Macca, almost nasty.

Bloss

Killing Joke, barrowlands. Incredibly good for a 40th anniversary tour. Jaz is channelling Alice Cooper more these days. Youth is back with them on Bass. Youth is no longer a skinny dreadlocked kid with a beard and army surplus baggy pants. Geordie is looking absolutely fantastic, calm and composed.

There was some terrific back catalogue music played well and really really loud.

Not my photos as I leave my phone behind. But Everyone was taking photos!

45549803_2333691213528117_250792082535350272_o.jpg

45708508_2333691230194782_4916264624950607872_o.jpg

45554242_2333691203528118_8852803465441705984_o.jpg

Last edited:

advertisement

Back