advertisement

What Car? - V2

I toyed with the idea of an S5 (in Navarra Blue) but wimped out at the last minute and bought a 218 V6 diesel. As stated elsewhere, nice car but a few niggles which was disappointing in a three year old car.

I want another one but given the paucity of A5 V6 diesel coupes, an S5 might be the answer.

The current crop of S5’s are diesel aren’t they? Mine was a V6 petrol. Odd that Audi switched to diesel for these performance models..!

Still liking the look of that £5K’s worth of CLK as a spring / summer soft top. Might find out the VIN / engine number and see if it has the later balancer shaft gear mod. It would seem ‘right’ parked outside the Fox at Oddington. Looks proper old money.

Still liking the look of that £5K’s worth of CLK as a spring / summer soft top. Might find out the VIN / engine number and see if it has the later balancer shaft gear mod. It would seem ‘right’ parked outside the Fox at Oddington. Looks proper old money.
That sounds like a lot of car for modest money and it's the way I do my motoring. Set aside a sum for servicing and repairs, off you go. It doesn't work for anyone who expects to do nothing to a car beyond putting fuel in, and this makes them unattractive to buy. Good news.

That sounds like a lot of car for modest money and it's the way I do my motoring. Set aside a sum for servicing and repairs, off you go. It doesn't work for anyone who expects to do nothing to a car beyond putting fuel in, and this makes them unattractive to buy. Good news.

Yep. It would be a second vehicle to waft around in on nice days. Fuel economy doesn’t matter at it won’t do much mileage. It’ll need bits of maintenance, I have a very good local garage (with a proper mechanic) so that’s OK. CFO lands soon, see what she thinks…

Unless the whole car had been repainted, or you need to make some repairs yourself down the line of ownership.

Yep. It would be a second vehicle to waft around in on nice days. Fuel economy doesn’t matter at it won’t do much mileage. It’ll need bits of maintenance, I have a very good local garage (with a proper mechanic) so that’s OK. CFO lands soon, see what she thinks…
Seems like a realistic plan. People obsess over fuel economy and then buy a heavily depreciating asset to "save" £ 200 a year on fuel for their 8k miles a year.
Incidentally I've just had my pensions adviser round, he spends huge sums on cars and every time I see him it's something new. His latest is some flagship Mercedes coupe that is apparently 10 years old and has done very few miles as a weekend toy. It was originally an eye watering £130k, he's paid £30k. A lot of money but a lot less than the original owner. He says that it's incredible, I believe him. He's realistic about the 19mpg, he plans to do few miles. I suspect that if he does this and doesn't get unlucky with any hideous repairs he could do say 5k miles a year for 2 or 3 years and come out for little cost over that of something like a new 5 series. For that he's driving round in a superb machine with every possible toy, a rumbling V8 and enough bhp to run a ship.

Seems like a realistic plan. People obsess over fuel economy and then buy a heavily depreciating asset to "save" £ 200 a year on fuel for their 8k miles a year.
Incidentally I've just had my pensions adviser round, he spends huge sums on cars and every time I see him it's something new. His latest is some flagship Mercedes coupe that is apparently 10 years old and has done very few miles as a weekend toy. It was originally an eye watering £130k, he's paid £30k. A lot of money but a lot less than the original owner. He says that it's incredible, I believe him. He's realistic about the 19mpg, he plans to do few miles. I suspect that if he does this and doesn't get unlucky with any hideous repairs he could do say 5k miles a year for 2 or 3 years and come out for little cost over that of something like a new 5 series. For that he's driving round in a superb machine with every possible toy, a rumbling V8 and enough bhp to run a ship.

Yes, that’s fabulous motoring. If you’re doing 25K a year it’ll bankrupt many but if mileage is low it’s wonderful value for money. If it drops a bollock, you’re going to get a bill so need some financial resilience. I always say of cars like that, if you can’t afford to buy 2 you can’t afford to run 1.

Had to share this - own something extremely rare on UK roads.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303054917176

8de8b9e21db14a438ac0004aa6c218bf.jpg

Audi Q7 6.0 TDI V12

[I have no link to the seller before you ask]

advertisement

Back