advertisement

What Car? - V2

Ponty

pfm Member
My OH was on the look out for a new car before Xmas. Life got in the way and didn’t get round to it. However, we’ve now decided to go to 1 car so the brief has changed slightly. Used prices are still nuts, browsing at new and supply seems to be coming through. There’s an updated Audi Q5 in the wings, meaning a 16% discount is available on the current model. Looking at the Quattro petrol 265 engine. Seems a nice car, anyone any experience of them? I have slight concerns over German build quality and Audi dealers get mixed reviews. Would buy and keep for 10 years.

My Merc dealer is brilliant. Always friendly, up for deals, service great.
Recommended to a friend and she bought 2 ex demo from them recently!

My Merc dealer is brilliant. Always friendly, up for deals, service great.
Recommended to a friend and she bought 2 ex demo from them recently!

Don’t know what’s going on with Merc. They seem to be almost cutting dealers out of the sales process. Prices are off the chart too compared with the competition.

Hilarious! It’s a bloody Audi, common as muck white goods. Hardly exotic! Thanks for the helpful input though.

My German manufacturers and dealer experiences are Merc dealers and build quality great, Porsche dealers great - some odd niggly faults. BMW (some years ago) dealers terrible.

Oh and my very recent Volvo dealership experience was terrible.

My German manufacturers and dealer experiences are Merc dealers and build quality great, Porsche dealers great - some odd niggly faults. BMW (some years ago) dealers terrible.

Oh and my very recent Volvo dealership experience was terrible.

Interesting. Quite like the Macan but don’t really want to spend that much. Just had another quote, 17% discount on a new Q5. I’m guessing pork is 0%! Gone off Volvo, ugly and Chinese owned.

Quite like the Macan

we loved ours - we had the Turbo model, don't think they still do it.

in 3 years of ownership we had one broken switch, which was down to my heavy handedness. Dealer fixed under warranty with no questions.

Leg room in the back isn't that great, although I don't know if that's changed with the face-lift model. We thought 4 seats would come in handy, but in the end it was too big for our needs.

Having owned 26 cars of 13 brands, I can testify in court that dealer behavior is brand independent. Or do you really think some brands have courses where they teach 'How to be rude to customers'?

BTW, if you want a car with the least amount of trouble, buy Japanese. Yes, even British built ones are great.

we loved ours - we had the Turbo model, don't think they still do it.

in 3 years of ownership we had one broken switch, which was down to my heavy handedness. Dealer fixed under warranty with no questions.

Leg room in the back isn't that great, although I don't know if that's changed with the face-lift model. We thought 4 seats would come in handy, but in the end it was too big for our needs.

Looks like the same engine in the standard Macan and the Q5. Massive price difference though!

Having owned 26 cars of 13 brands, I can testify in court that dealer behavior is brand independent. Or do you really think some brands have courses where they teach 'How to be rude to customers'?

BTW, if you want a car with the least amount of trouble, buy Japanese. Yes, even British built ones are great.

I’ve ran Japanese cars for years. Had 2 Subarus over the past 9 years. Zero faults and great dealers. My OH just wants a change really. I have a niggling doubt that I’ll regret moving away.

I recently test drove the John Cooper Works Mini Countryman. Nice fun 306 bhp compact SUV type, quick to 60, all wheel drive - different and funky.

The Q5 is an outdated model that looks like a farmers car in terms of design these days. It's had its day really.

I almost bought a preowned Q5 Vorsprung and toyed with the idea of a preowned F-Pace HSE and decided better of it. For similar money I got a brand new Mazda CX60 AWD Homura and it is wonderful. Excellent Japanese build and dealership, and a far more appealing price -servicing cheaper, parts, cheaper, insurance cheaper etc.

Ok, so the ride is also Japanese so is on the firmer side in comparison to the Magneride on the Vorsprung, but is better than the standard Q5 suspension and the cabin is worlds apart from the dated piano black tackyness of the Q5...kit levels are also supreme compared to non Vorsprung Q5's, and people are actually nice to you on the road, as opposed to seeing you like a complete tool when in an Audi.

However, My 330bhp PHEV is due to be swapped for the 254bhp AWD 3.3 Inline 6 Diesel MHEV due to lack of charging infrastructure, but its the cleanest diesel ever made, with Euro 7 compatibility and less polluting than many petrol and hybrid setups that returns over 55mpg and sounds glorious . Its a win win imo. Looking forward to mapping it and seeing what the 6 cylinder engine can really do, I expect around 300-325bhp and 700nm.

Mazda-CX-60-Homura-AWD.jpg

Mazda-CX-60_UK-Version-2023-1600-68.jpg

Last edited:

advertisement

Back