advertisement

What Car? - V2

You mean, the tarmac will crumble? :)

Almost certainly! I’ve noticed quite a deterioration in the roads over the last couple of months, no doubt caused by winter weather. You can see why people drive around in trucks, provided they don’t ruin them with huge wheels of course! I’m not buying anything with rubber band tyres, it’s just asking for trouble, as well as destroying the ride.

It’s quite interesting, looking at 10 - 15 year old motors, by and large the Mercs tend to look in pretty good nick, full history etc. The equivalent BM’s and Audis look shagged in comparison, patchy history etc. They were probably much of a muchness in terms of build quality when new so must be down to a different owner profile. It certainly appears easier to track down a well looked after Merc over anything else.

Had to share this - own something extremely rare on UK roads.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303054917176

8de8b9e21db14a438ac0004aa6c218bf.jpg

Audi Q7 6.0 TDI V12

Couldn't drive that out of respect for the planet. HGV Truck sized engine for personal transport!

[I have no link to the seller before you ask]

Current car is a silver vauxhall , drives like a dream and very smooth and reliable .barely spent a penny on repairs since i bought it

Finally making progress. Still want the second car but also to use for European road trip wafting. Thinking about an E Class coupe or possibly convertible. Seems you can buy a nice facelift 2014/5 car with sensible miles for circa £15K. Was thinking petrol but for longer road trips diesel probably makes more sense, particularly in mainland Europe. Don’t need a huge engine, I’m reading that the 220d lump is pretty reliable and very economical. Anyone have experience of these?

I had a similar question to the OP 10 years ago, I had a BMW 5 series (company car) and a V8 supercharged Jaguar at the time and was looking to escape the Company car scene. I had been looking for a while and test driving various German brands, when my colleague handed me a copy of the 'Which car guide for 2013'.

I turned to the section marked, 'Medium sized family cars' and right at the top of the page it read, "If you want a good quality, reliable family car, buy a petrol Toyota".

So I did, (a Hybrid), I still have it 10 years on and it has been exceptional.

I’m a huge Toyota and Japanese car fan in general. There’s just nothing which fits the (revised) brief of an E Class coupe or convertible.

Finally making progress. Still want the second car but also to use for European road trip wafting. Thinking about an E Class coupe or possibly convertible. Seems you can buy a nice facelift 2014/5 car with sensible miles for circa £15K. Was thinking petrol but for longer road trips diesel probably makes more sense, particularly in mainland Europe. Don’t need a huge engine, I’m reading that the 220d lump is pretty reliable and very economical. Anyone have experience of these?

i have the 250d lump in my car which is the identical engine with a bit more boost. No problems at all in 5 years, very reliable and economical engine.

i have the 250d lump in my car which is the identical engine with a bit more boost. No problems at all in 5 years, very reliable and economical engine.

Interesting, thanks. I’ve read the 250 can suffer from ‘blue efficiency’ injector problems which the 220 doesn’t have for some reason. Twin turbo rather than single I believe for the extra grunt.

Interesting, thanks. I’ve read the 250 can suffer from ‘blue efficiency’ injector problems which the 220 doesn’t have for some reason. Twin turbo rather than single I believe for the extra grunt.

no the OM651 220d engine fitted in 2015 is identical to the 250d, it is also a twin turbo.

early OM651 engines had piezo injectors which failed after about 50k miles, they were all replaced with magnetic ones and since then very few issues with this engine.

later models had OM654 engines which are single turbo units.

no the OM651 220d engine fitted in 2015 is identical to the 250d, it is also a twin turbo.

early OM651 engines had piezo injectors which failed after about 50k miles, they were all replaced with magnetic ones and since then very few issues with this engine.

later models had OM654 engines which are single turbo units.

Ah right, brilliant. So if I’m looking at say a 2015 or 2016 car, there’s no reason to discount a 250d based on this historic issue?

Not had the coupe version of this but the 220 estate was here for a year. Nice. 'Adequate' power but I have always felt the E class deserved the 3 litre diesel (or the 500 petrol if you can). I do wish Merc build was as it was in the W 123/ W124 era. It ain't tho and thats the fact.
I think I'd take an older SL over a newer E coupe. In fact I know it :)

Ah right, brilliant. So if I’m looking at say a 2015 or 2016 car, there’s no reason to discount a 250d based on this historic issue?

Not really, it’s a fine engine. The OM651 was introduced in 2008 so problems were sorted well before 2015. Did you know that the OM651 engine is the most successful MB engine ever (in terms of production numbers) with over 1 million units produced? Go on the mb forums, there are hardly any discussions about issues apart from during the early days.

advertisement

Back