advertisement

What are you reading these days?

Why vote Leave? Daniel Hannan. I voted to remain. But this book by a sane Brexiteer is interesting if your curious about the workings of the EU. Still relevant because it’s insights give a context to how the EU is behaving post- brexit.

note to self .... must dig out The Third Policeman for another read!

'Square Haunting' by Frances Wade (nothing to do with ghosts; mini-biographies of several women who lived in London Squares in the early part of the 20th century).

'A Natural History of Ghosts' by Roger Clarke. This is to do with ghosts; a well-written historical study of several hauntings across the centuries, from a ghost-hunter with an admirably sceptical approach.

I'd not heard of that one, just bought a copy. Thanks!
The paperback from ‘64 only has twelve of the twenty tales in the original hardback, although it’s hugely cheaper! UK paperback publishers in the ‘fifties, ‘sixties and ‘seventies often reprinted earlier US hardbacks across two paperbacks. I don’t know if that was the case for ‘Who Knocks?’ though…

The paperback from ‘64 only has twelve of the twenty tales in the original hardback, although it’s hugely cheaper! UK paperback publishers in the ‘fifties, ‘sixties and ‘seventies often reprinted earlier US hardbacks across two paperbacks. I don’t know if that was the case for ‘Who Knocks?’ though…

Yeah I bought the hardback, thirteen quid! Which is a lot for a book but I do love ghost stories. It has twenty stories in it, I believe. I remember going to jumble sales and coming out with armfuls of books for ten p. Looking forward to reading this one anyway!

Yeah I bought the hardback, thirteen quid! Which is a lot for a book but I do love ghost stories. It has twenty stories in it, I believe. I remember going to jumble sales and coming out with armfuls of books for ten p. Looking forward to reading this one anyway!
There’s some great artwork at the start of each story, but if you’re reading the tales for the first time, don’t look too closely at the art before you’ve read the associated tale as it gives endings away!

Mick

Oliver Taplin's "new" translation of the Oresteia. I find as I get older I read new translations of these very old books more and more in preference to new work.

I've not started reading yet as I only just bought it, but it's going to be the next book I read for sure: I wanna Be Yours by John Cooper Clarke, the long-awaited autobiography. It's currently £0.99 here on Kindle :)

I'm just coming to the end of it; and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
I've found myself hearing his voice as I've been reading, which adds to it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Slow Horses by Mick Herron
I quite enjoyed it but at my age I had to concentrate pretty hard as he jumps around from scene to scene without any warning!!!
I have already purchased book 2 in the series.

Just read Slow Horses over the weekend and have ordered the next sequential pair.

As Gary Oldman, Kristin Scott-Thomas and Jonathan Pryce have signed up for the small screen adaptation thought I’d get ahead of the curve.

Why vote Leave? Daniel Hannan. I voted to remain. But this book by a sane Brexiteer is interesting if your curious about the workings of the EU. Still relevant because it’s insights give a context to how the EU is behaving post- brexit.

note to self .... must dig out The Third Policeman for another read!

He's an old friend of mine, since 25 years, and he's definitely not sane, or reliable on matters of Euro-fact. He's very clever, funny, charming, writes well of course, but mad as a box of frogs.

Just read Slow Horses over the weekend and have ordered the next sequential pair.

As Gary Oldman, Kristin Scott-Thomas and Jonathan Pryce have signed up for the small screen adaptation thought I’d get ahead of the curve.

I will watch that when it is shown but how can they have cast anyone but Roger Allam as Jackson Lamb?

He's an old friend of mine, since 25 years, and he's definitely not sane, or reliable on matters of Euro-fact. He's very clever, funny, charming, writes well of course, but mad as a box of frogs.

Oh dear! I’d better burn it rather than return to the library then ;)

Just on the last couple of chapters of Nutshell, Ian McEwan. Find much of his stuff hard-going, my wife being the fan, but this has often had me laughing out loud. She won’t read it simply because she finds the idea of a thinking foetus ridiculous...

I recently had the odd experience of reading a novel by a friend from university.

It's highly autobiographical and includes a couple of chapters set at Oxford. I know some of the characters and I'm still friends with a few of them. I feature in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it way as "Freya's boyfriend's friend".

I would say I was disappointed, but since the experiences recounted are almost universally awful, I feel quite lucky.

Oh, sod it, I won't be coy. Here's the book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1780331207/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Not the sort of thing I would usually read, but the personal connection made it worthwhile and it's extremely well-written.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back