advertisement

What are you reading these days?

Poverty Safari by Darren McGarvey.

61jj-OvrkyL._AC_UY218_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Kant - On the Form and Principles of the Sensible and the Intelligible World
Schopenhauer - The World as Will and Representation
Dyer - The World According to Danny Dyer

Slow Horses by Mick Herron
I quite enjoyed it but at my age I had to concentrate pretty hard as he jumps around from scene to scene without any warning!!!
I have already purchased book 2 in the series.

I have a desire to read some ghost stories. Can anyone recommend a collection of short stories that I could have a go at?
Thanks in advance.

Family - Owen Mullen
Modern London gangster yarn. Not what you’d call literature but quite a good story, keeping my interest anyway. £0.99 for Kindle version so can’t complain.

Slow Horses by Mick Herron
I quite enjoyed it but at my age I had to concentrate pretty hard as he jumps around from scene to scene without any warning!!!
I have already purchased book 2 in the series.

I started these just after Christmas I`ve now broken the habit of a lifetime and bought the latest in hardback. Out today

'The Cunning Man' by Robertson Davies, and
"into the London Fog', an anthology of short stories, ed. by Elizabeth Dearnley

"One Two Three Four The Beatles In Time" by Craig Brown. A bit of light reading after "1946 The Making of the Modern World" by Victor Sebestyen.

Good man - I have two copies, one for reading and another (signed) that is just for looking at, in a Nigel Tufnel kind of way.

I only have signed copies of Iain Sinclair's books.

We're currently sorting through our books prior to the charity shops re-opening. We keep finding more copies of Mansfield Park, four at the latest count.

I only have signed copies of Iain Sinclair's books.

We're currently sorting through our books prior to the charity shops re-opening. We keep finding more copies of Mansfield Park, four at the latest count.
Apart from Peter Blegvad’s Book of Leviathan (a recent buy) I think I only have signed copies of Robertson Davies’ books. By design, at least. Checking my RD shelf just now I see I in fact have three copies of The Cunning Man, two of them signed - the extra one being the first US edition. Nothing like having a good obsession.

Forces in Motion about Anthony Braxton. When accused of being quite mad he accepts that, but says that Stockhausen and Schoenberg were the same. Interesting indeed.

The Enclosed Garden of the Truth by Sana'i (1118-1152). Continuing my long study of Arabic ideas.

I am currently re-reading Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh,

I love love love this book, one of my favourite science for simpletons type books. Fascinating history of mathematics as well and some great problems to get your teeth into at the back. The first page of Wiles proof is a great reminder of how different advanced mathematics is to everything I ever learnt about the subject.

Under The Skin - Michael Faber. Loads better than the film
I enjoyed the book. Then got really excited that movie was being made... The trailer was good too. But when I went to see it, I was disappointed, it was too far removed from the book. I wondered if I had read the book from a very different viewpoint.

After the many years that have passed, I've decided to uncouple the book from the movie in my mind and now I like the movie too. The book is far better though. Strange/scary/tense/horrible horror/scifi.... and darkly amusing in the right places.

I enjoyed the book. Then got really excited that movie was being made... The trailer was good too. But when I went to see it, I was disappointed, it was too far removed from the book. I wondered if I had read the book from a very different viewpoint.

After the many years that have passed, I've decided to uncouple the book from the movie in my mind and now I like the movie too. The book is far better though. Strange/scary/tense/horrible horror/scifi.... and darkly amusing in the right places.
It might depend on which you encountered first. The cultural critic Mark Fisher thinks the book explains too much about the main character and the nature of her work, and prefers the open-endedness of the film.

I love the visuals of the film and its sense of alienation, but the book really gets under the skin (ha!) of the main character and you end up empathising with her situation. I love both.

Incidentally, the director of the film has done other great work: Sexy Beast and Birth. I highly recommend both.

Just finished The Last Days of John Lennon by James Patterson. The scope of the book is much wider than the title suggests and Patterson’s thriller writer style suits the story very well.

advertisement

Back