advertisement

What are you reading these days?

"The Terrorists" (Swedish title "Terroristerna") - the last in "Martin Beck" series by Sjöwall and Wahlöo. Almost at that bitter sweet thing when you finish a series of books. Ohh well ... things come to an end.

I read them all back in the eighties, and then again over the last five years.

Give it a few years and return to them. You won't regret it.

I read them all back in the eighties, and then again over the last five years.

Give it a few years and return to them. You won't regret it.
I sat and read "Murder at the Savoy" in the restaurant at the Savoy in Malmö one very very wet and stormy Saturday when I was working there. One of those "got to be done" things that stays with you.

Ulysses by James Joyce. I've had this on my shelf for years and decided that I was going to read it in 2022 to mark the centenary of its publication. I managed about 4 chapters before giving up. However, I picked it up at the beginning of the year and found a link to RTÉ's dramatisation of the book from 1982. It is the full works. So I'm reading along listening to the dramatisation. I'm now 60% of the way through it. I'm also reading the chapter by chapter commentaries from Cliffs Notes by Edward A Kopper, which are quite helpful and brief. It is laugh out loud funny in parts but I think if I was just reading it off the page I would be completely stumped.

Ulysses is completed! Feels like an achievement but most of the credit must go to the cast at RTÉ. Everyone I read about this book tells me that I will get more out of it when I read it again. I don't think I'll be doing that in a hurry.

Paper Cup by Karen Campbell. The story starts with Kelly, a homeless Glasgow alcoholic, who witnesses a bus crash. This starts a chain of events which turn Kelly's life upside down. Only a third of the away through but the book has me hooked.

I just bought the Audible book "Heresy" ( Jesus Christ and the other Sons of God) by Catherine Nixey, that discusses the other Jesus figures that afflicted the world around the time of the one-and-only. It is a follow up book to her "The Darkening Age" that tells the story of how a militant religion deliberately tried to extinguish the teachings of the Classical world, ushering in unquestioning adherence to the 'one true faith'. that we have got today. Any one else here who likes audio books?

Eric BrightEyes by Henry Rider Haggard. Published in late 19th C, tells a tale of a 10th C Icelandic warrior. Vikings, witches, trolls, longboats, battles....crap name for the hero but quite an entertaining fantasy read.

I'm currently reading "Sound Bites - 50 years of Hi-Fi News magazine".

I can't deny it's been a bit of an eye-opener so far!!
Agree, this has some interesting HiFi tales and memories. They should update it. My edition is from 2005. There must be some stories in the last 20 years that would be worth adding.

Any one else here who likes audio books?
I have a mouse arm, so I have to. Bloody happy they exists :)

Just into the finishing chapters of Compelling Evidence by Steve Martini. Very long, very tedious Lawyer/Criminal case/Court/Jury drama (you know the sort). Exciting some of the time, but simply to long.

advertisement

Back