advertisement

What are you listening to right now #8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew-

Do report back on the Broken Social Scene album. I've been holding off.

PS- I would add that I have become very risk averse WRT PF reviews and recs in '05, and as a result my new music section is a bit uninspired right now.

rod said:
Amazon has decided that because I have bought a few things from them that they know what I like (Bob Dylan, Cream???), but I am intrigued about "Widows" by Sennen. Anyone heard this, do they add anything in this field? It is at such a reasonable price that I may be unable to resist for long.

no idea, but get it direct from the label:

http://www.hungryaudio.tk/

rather than supporting amazons bank balance if you can :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Nice one Andy! Always like to support small labels when I can. I am always seduced by the selection available on Amazon and ebay, especially for things I am specifically searching for.

i am equally a victim :) its strange how the internet makes finding such things so simple, yet we still take the ultimately easiest solution (amazon, ebay...) even if it would only take 3 minutes to find another source.

this eve so far
Zep - Physical Graffiti
Gilles Peterson presents - The BBC Sessions Vol.1
Joy Division - Heart and Soul box set (nicely put together and now only 19.95 on amazon :) )
Common - Like Water for Chocolate

Blues Night

Was: BB King: Blues on the Bayou
Now: Clarence Gatemouth Brown: Standing my Ground
Next: Etta James: Stickin to my Guns

The ringing in my ears after seeing this lot at the Astoria. I only went because a friend suggested it. Why didn't I know how great they are, they've been around for years and I'd managed to miss them completely.

-- Ian

Sigur Ros were on Later, so I watched that. Damn good, shame they didn't get the whole show to themselves.

Tony.

La Banda Municipale de Santiago de Cuba - which is a Cuban brass band. A rather good one in fact. NP the deeply cheesy Reina Isabel.

L'incomparable Defao et son groupe choc - Kopalangana Te! Glorious mid-eighties (anti-choc?) dance music from Brazzaville via the Parisian studios. Another of those rhythm sections that make Fela's sound a bit Division 1 (it's not true, of course, but there is an incredible suppleness to the very best Congolese units that you simply don't find anywhere else).

Various Amazonia have just arrived so:

Now: John Scofield - Time on my hands
To be followed by:
Miles - Live Evil
Prince - Sign of the times (and if he did play everything on this except the brass, he really is a genius!!)
Cliff

Jive Soweto (The Indestructible Beat Of Soweto Vol.4) - A great album, for sure. Featuring a good number of tracks by the mighty Soul Brothers. Generally a happy, upbeat feeling to this. One of a few cds given to me on loan from a colleague, who listens to a fair bit of African music. Wish I had known this before, but there you go. Nice one Dave!

Aphex Twin, Hangable Auto Bulb. Some of my favourite Aphex is on this, and it has finally got an issue on CD too, many years after the event (1995).

Next: Lagos Chop Up, as mentioned by Duncan up t'thread a bit.

-- Ian

Hi Joel

Thanks. I'll have a listen to the samples later, I'm currently listening to Les Bantous de la Capitale. No recollection of where this one is from, it might be Uganda, though there's no info other than artist / titles. Like it so far.

rod said:
Hi Joel

Thanks. I'll have a listen to the samples later, I'm currently listening to Les Bantous de la Capitale. No recollection of where this one is from, it might be Uganda, though there's no info other than artist / titles. Like it so far.
Excellent. They are from the Congo. Classic rumba, with a super supple rhythm section.
NP Waldemar Bastos - Sofrimento ah, saudade.

joel said:
Excellent. They are from the Congo. Classic rumba, with a super supple rhythm section.
NP Waldemar Bastos - Sofrimento ah, saudade.
Very supple! Some lovely rhythms to be found here. I should have noticed, the last track is Loin du Congo!

Liquid Liquid, self-titled compilation double LP from a few years back recently reissued on vinyl by Mo Wax, excellent it is too. Clean and precise, everyone knows the track "Cavern" because it was lifted by Grandmaster Flash as the rhythm track for "White Lines", but everything else they did is just as good, and this collects pretty much all of it.

http://www.discogs.com/release/135462

-- Ian

Mute Bell Extinction Process, which features a very good remix of Nurse With Wound's Salt Marie Celeste by irr.app.(ext.), amongst other things.

-- Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back