advertisement

What are you listening to right now #64

Dr. Lonnie Smtih, All In My MInd ( via Qobuz)

I've streamed this more than I've played quite a few of the TPs I've actually got hard copies of. Not quite sure why I've not just gone for it and ordered a copy - a great groove and some fine guitar playing.

I think I was out off as two tracks are not included that were on the CD - not enough to make a double album but they could have done a nice 3 sided set like Andrew Hill's Passing Ships.

09c22-drlonniesmith_allinmymind_cover.jpg
Dr Lonnie Smith, All in My Mind ( TP Vinyl)

Decided life is too short to fret about money ( and it seems even shorter after a 9 day stay in hospital) so finally bought a copy. And, of course, it sounds fabulous.

Interestingly the two tracks dropped form the CD were the only two Dr Lonnie Smith compositions. That must have been an interesting conversation!

Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Irving Berlin Song Book Vol. 2. His Master's Voice – CLP 1184. LP, mono OG 1958. And that completes a full set of the song book records! I have mostly OG HMV copies but I've discovered that the mid-70s-80s "Verve double Select" mono represses are very good shouts and, invariable, hardly played.

My00NjM1LmpwZWc.jpeg

The New York Times columnist Frank Rich was moved to write a few days after Fitzgerald's death that in the Song Book series, she "performed a cultural transaction as extraordinary as Elvis's contemporaneous integration of white and African-American soul."

Here was a black woman popularizing urban songs often written by immigrant Jews to a national audience of predominantly white Christians. As Ira Gershwin said, in the line quoted in every obituary: "I never knew how good our songs were until I heard Ella Fitzgerald sing them." Most of the rest of us didn't know, either. By the time she had gone through the entire canon, songs that had been pigeonholed as show tunes or jazz novelties or faded relics of Tin Pan Alley had become American classical music, the property and pride of everyone."[3]

advertisement

Back