advertisement

What are you listening to right now #64

idlewithnodrive

You should hear our version of Louie Louie
2a4917e591585d12775c958beba02fa3e6c6586a.jpeg

This prompted me to get this out for a play.

It’s a great record but I still find it slightly off putting that Art Taylor's drums seem to be in front of all of the other instruments, especially Gordon's sax on Tanya. It's less noticeable when Byrd is soloing and then goes further down in the mix when Drew is soloing. Odd.
Kevin,
Interesting, I had to have another listen, but that is no hardship, as it is not what I am hearing on my system . For reference my Dutch & Dutch 8c’s are 8 foot apart centre to centre and I listen 9 feet away. I am listening at realistic volume (loud), at least when SWMBO is out. Art Taylor’s drums are on the right of course and are at a high level with real impact, but they are back in the mix for me just inside the right speaker, but with some spread. At the start of ‘Tanya’ Art Taylor’s kick drum comes in with real weight in the bass and then I hear Kenny Drew’s piano phrase in the centre with a slight spread to the left, but it is clearly in front of the drums. Byrd comes in well in front of the the drums and cymbals and forward and just inside of my right speaker, well into my room. When Dexter enters on the left he is even further forward in my room and just outside the left speaker. I hear no change in level of the drums throughout, but can hear the slight Mike placement differences between the cymbals, snare and toms, but overall still the same impact. For completion I hear Pedersen’s bass clearly, but back in the mix behind the left speaker.

I’m not claiming what I am hearing is right or better, but it it does sound a really excellent recording as I said, by Jacques Lublin, especially the piano in comparison to RVG, although I believe he remixed this recording and I think Joe and Kevin may have used this mix for there mastering for the vinyl?

If you get London you welcome to come for a listen here. I’m about an hour out from the centre on the tube. PM me.

advertisement

Back