advertisement

What are you listening to right now #64

84b2583cb2ab2a0bb4feb4637a44c940f1c72b98.jpeg

Now listening to live coverage of the Porch Stomp festival from Governor’s Island in the middle of New York Harbour on WKCR. Loads of different stages with country, folk and blues musicians. All acoustic, no sound systems - occasionally the music is drowned out by the noise of passing boats and helicopters. But it sounds wonderful - wish I was there.

Now listening to live coverage of the Porch Stomp festival from Governor’s Island in the middle of New York Harbour on WKCR. Loads of different stages with country, folk and blues musicians. All acoustic, no sound systems - occasionally the music is drowned out by the noise of passing boats and helicopters. But it sounds wonderful - wish I was there.
Sounds a fabulous way to spend your evening 👌

Wadada Leo Smith and Amina Claudine Myers, Central Park's mosaic of reservoir, lake, paths and gardens. ( Vinyl)
Curiously, it is 20 minutes a side but plays at 45rpm. It's a quite beautiful sounding recording: I'm not sure I've had such a clear impression of being "in the room" with a piano before.

Wadada%2520Leo%2520Smith%2520&%2520Amina%2520Claudine%2520Myers-%2520Central%2520Park%27s%2520Mosaics%2520of%2520Reservoir%2C%2520Lake%2C%2520Paths%2520and%2520Gardens.jpeg
Kevin,
there a review of this by Fred Kaplan on the Trackingangle now including info on mikes and placement:

Sounds a fabulous way to spend your evening 👌
It was lovely. I particularly liked the singer who stopped abruptly after a few rather atonal finger-picked chords. “Hmm. That doesn’t sound right at all!” she said. Then she giggled. “Oh. I’ve forgotten to put the capo on!”

Bet Bob Dylan never did that.

I just turned WKCR on again, and thought they had gone off-air. Then I heard a bird chirruping and realised it was coming from the speakers. WTF? A few more minutes of ambient sounds, then a door closing. A student DJ opened her mic. “That was fifteen minutes of sound I recorded last week outside a house I where was staying in upstate New York” she said.

I like WKCR.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back