advertisement

What are you listening to right now #64

I enjoyed this book too but it really needs either a set of CDs or a long playlist to get the most out of it.

Having access to Qobuz via my phone certainly helped me enjoy the book even more. I've spent chunks of the last 2 days jumping from place to place - within Frisell's discography but also Paul Motian, John Zorn. Jan Gabarek, Joey Baron, Charles Lloyd, Marc Johnson, Dave Douglas, Jim Hall, George Van Eps and many others. (I have to confess that at certain points I also streamed music I've got on the shelf to save me getting up and losing my place in the book.)

Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band - Ice Cream for Crow

Captain_Beefheart_-_Ice_Cream_for_Crow.jpg

I really do love Clarinet..Some Trad yep, lots of swing from Shaw in particular, but also classical. This in particular I've been meaning to dig out for ages....

Hal Willner, Stay Awake ( Vinyl)

Dug this out for a play after reading the Bill Frisell book.

Hall-Willner-Stay-Awake-Disney-Tribute.jpg

David Van Tieghem "Things That Happen". I read about this today, how have I not heard about it before? Recorded in New York 1984, collaborator with Byrne, Eno, Laurie Anderson etc., it sounds like a percussion-heavy link between Byrne / Eno and synth-pop. An interesting but not vital listen I think.
Available on Bandcamp
https://davidvantieghem.bandcamp.com/album/these-things-happen-2
He played on a couple of tracks from My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, early-80s Talking Heads, etc so the connection is there.

I remember seeing a clip of him playing percussion with assorted New York street furniture - very 1980s!

advertisement

Back