advertisement

What are you listening to right now #63

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul, in addition to Seekers typography reply can I add that the bar over a capital A is known as a Macron and over a small a as a Grapheme and is used to indicate a long sounding A (vowel) certain Eastern European and Far Eastern languages including Japanese.

Very interesting Jim - thanks. I should perhaps have remembered that from taking Japanese classes. Though Japanese romaji is always lower case so I wouldn't have encountered an 'A' like the record sleeve (hiragana simply uses a repeated character so a long A is ああ whereas Katakana uses a following dash so A is アー) .

OC01ODUxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Vinyl, Verve by Request reissue.

Me too! Great minds and all that ;-)

Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin
Label: Atlantic – R1-536123
Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, 180 Gram 2 x Vinyl, LP, Album, 180 Gram All Media, Deluxe Edition, Tri-fold Sleeve
Released: 2 Jun 2014
Genre: Rock
Style: Blues Rock, Hard Rock, Arena Rock

IMG_20221228_123302.jpg

Very interesting Jim - thanks. I should perhaps have remembered that from taking Japanese classes. Though Japanese romaji is always lower case so I wouldn't have encountered an 'A' like the record sleeve (hiragana simply uses a repeated character so a long A is ああ whereas Katakana uses a following dash so A is アー) .

おかげで面白い ;)
I wondered how you would indicate a long vowel in Japanese characters.

Weyes Blood - And in the Darkness Hearts Aglow - clear vinyl “Loser” edition

Natalie Mering’s most recent album - with her silky smooth vocals. Beautiful stuff.

Me too! Great minds and all that ;-)
Although it was good to get a vinyl copy I found this Verve by Requests a bit disappointing. This mastering is quite compressed, a bit flat and dull sounding. Pushing the volume up helps a bit, but It still seems to prevent the music really coming alive. I have no idea of the provenance of the recording used, but I was suspicious. I expect it is also partly due to the fairly long side lengths requiring the compression.

Luckily the AS Verve Karma is in a different league.

This nice Pacific Jazz compilation from 1978.

My copy arrived today still sealed in it's original shrinkwrap with a deletion hole punch in the sleeve corner. Despite being sealed since manufacture 44 years ago there were fingerprints on the vinyl... so much for the Good Old Days ;)

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back