advertisement

What are you listening to right now #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fiery Furnaces - Rehearsing My Choir

Much like Polyphonic Spree and MU (MUTSUMI) I have never managed to get any friends to get into them.

upload png

:) Sunny sounds for a winters day.
I still remember driving across Aberdeen and hearing "Can't be Sure" on the radio and going straight to HMV to buy the album.

Screenshot-2022-01-04-at-16-14-49.png

What a dude Lou Donaldson is. And he turned 95 last November! I saw him at Ronnie Scotts a few years back and he was still great - even if you get the impression the jokes hadn't changed in a few decades.

Wikipedia says he's now semi-retired and who can blame him.

Here's a fantastic in depth interview with him from 2012.

I really shouldn’t tell you this, because I’m going to put it in my book. I got mad at Blue Note Records. Angry. Because I went out to do a session one time at Rudy’s house, and we played a couple of tunes, and then some guy came by with some vitamins, and all of them went in the bathroom—Rudy, too. I’m not saying he was doing nothing, but… But he went in there with them, and when they came out, you’re talking about some bad stumblin’ and fumblin’. So I went to Alfred. I said, “Look, Alfred, that’s it. I’m not going to record another record with a junkie. Forget it.” So for two years I didn’t do a record.

https://tedpanken.wordpress.com/201...or-the-smithsonian-jazz-oral-history-project/

R-4036749-1469611068-4905.jpeg.jpg

What a dude Lou Donaldson is. And he turned 95 last November! I saw him at Ronnie Scotts a few years back and he was still great - even if you get the impression the jokes hadn't changed in a few decades.

Wikipedia says he's now semi-retired and who can blame him.

Here's a fantastic in depth interview with him from 2012.

I really shouldn’t tell you this, because I’m going to put it in my book. I got mad at Blue Note Records. Angry. Because I went out to do a session one time at Rudy’s house, and we played a couple of tunes, and then some guy came by with some vitamins, and all of them went in the bathroom—Rudy, too. I’m not saying he was doing nothing, but… But he went in there with them, and when they came out, you’re talking about some bad stumblin’ and fumblin’. So I went to Alfred. I said, “Look, Alfred, that’s it. I’m not going to record another record with a junkie. Forget it.” So for two years I didn’t do a record.

https://tedpanken.wordpress.com/201...or-the-smithsonian-jazz-oral-history-project/

R-4036749-1469611068-4905.jpeg.jpg
Liked for the story Paul. Love those sort of anecdotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back