advertisement

What are you listening to right now #56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dillards-live-almost-cover.jpg

An ex/ex UK A2/B1 press on orange elektra from 1968 I picked up for £4.50 from a local S/H record shop that was closing down. One of the best sounding bits of vinyl I have ever heard. Amazingly fresh progressive Bluegrass with great between song chat, for those that don't know them.

I only know them through Doug Dillard.

I only know them through Doug Dillard.

As do most. IMHO, the early Dillards albums with Doug - all but one are traditional bluegrass - are far , far better than their later rather anodyne stuff and pretty much any album Doug Dillard later appeared on. I'd rate Wheatstraw, the last of these, as just a rewarding listen as Sweetheart of the Rodeo.

I am trying to listen to one vinyl record each day around lunchtime to take my mind off these trying times. Today’s choice is Randy Newman - ‘Little Criminals’.

Zebra of the Family 2 - Trashcan Sinatras

A collection of demos and unreleased tracks. Worth the entrance price alone for the beautiful Astronomy, which for some reason they kept back for close to 10 years and then only released as a bonus track on a Japanese album release.

He says, hoping someone has it ;)

Songs To Remember - Scritti Politti

Great sound, production, lyrics and one of my all time favs.

I would also add very good white soul music, but I do not understand genres

Bloss

Annie Anxiety Bandez - Jackamo, after finding a copy of the extended CD reissue at a decent price.

Ash Ra Tempel - Join Inn

One of the two albums recorded as a trio - the other being their debut. Not quite as frenetic as its predecessor and sounds in places like a busier Grateful Dead circa 'Live/Dead'.

Damned - The Black album

This is way, way better than I remembered. Every track's a winner and they're essayed in every style under the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back