advertisement

What are you listening to right now #5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guided by Voices- the recent greatest hits one

Really great summertime Sunday night indie rock stuff.

Can- Tago Mago ('04 Remaster)

Really nice. Groovy, punchy, funkin, trippy. Would have never known this if not for PFM. Just clicked Monster Movie and Ege Bamyasi on Amazon.

Is : Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw

Post-rocky in a 'played like conventional heavy metal done quietly' kind of way. Apparently Pelican are an offshoot of Tusk, who I've never heard of. Picked up randomly at the w/e as the blurb in Branson Records said 'if you like GSYBE, Mogwai and Janes Addiction you'll like this.'

And I do, so far.

Was : Pole Folder.

Hmmmmm - their sub-Dido choice of vocalists spoils a promising debut. Not sure this will remain in the library for long.

DJ Ztrip and DJ P - Uneasy listening Volume 1.

If you can get a copy I seriously recommend it, although probably not to everyones taste.

Stone Roses – (eponymous)

My first time hearing this. 211 Amazon reviews (a perfect 5 out of 5), and apparently it's everybody's favorite album of all time, anywhere, ever.

I'm still listening for the amazing bits. S'nice, s'ok, s'pleasant enough, but...

Now: Frankie goes to Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome

Next: A Clockwork Orange OST, in memory of Bob Moog

KH

Don't judge anything by my reaction, I don't rate the Beetles.

TBH I don't know what was more surprising to me, is all - that a music lover had only just got round to listening to something so highly regarded, or that it didn't set your heart aflutter immediately.

Taste is personal, if you don't like the best album ever recorded in the history of music, that's entirely your choice...

Was - The Magic Numbers. Summery stuff (which ends right about now in Aberdeen.)

Up now - Electrelane, The Power Out. Might just hit the play button when it gets to the end.

Ref: The Stone Roses - What's John Squire up to now?

Was: Ben Harper - Diamonds On The Inside.... in the car on the way to Edinburgh.

Think Ben has run his course...the mesaage seems a bit Hackneyed now....

Then: Athlete - Tourist...also in the car

hmmm... thought this was a grower but petered (sp?) out towards the end.

Thankfully Bjork made the journey bearable.

So far today:
Magic Numbers. Bought on spec while doing the shopping and after reading about their totp walkout. A nice summer pop record, mre 80s than the lazy 60s refs I'd read about - which is good. Does have some touches of The Beautiful South in places, which should be unforgivable, but also hints of a poppy David Gedge to balance the score.
Byrne/Eno: My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. Post holiday penury so digging out some old vinyl. This is, of course, wonderful and makes me want to upgrade the Planer3.
Fire Engines: Lubricate Your Living Room - more old vinyl - what a fabulous record.
Husker Du: New Day Rising - ditto

Makes me wonder whether I might no get more pleasure by not getting any new stuff for 6 months and going through the archives.

Kevin

Setting Son said:
Was: Ben Harper - Diamonds On The Inside.... in the car on the way to Edinburgh.

Think Ben has run his course...the mesaage seems a bit Hackneyed now....

Then: Athlete - Tourist...also in the car

hmmm... thought this was a grower but petered (sp?) out towards the end.

Thankfully Bjork made the journey bearable.

Where were you taking her? :p

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back