advertisement

What are you listening to right now #5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Billy Bragg

A good intro is the 'Must I Paint You A Picture' double CD. Hard to fault, and has some of my favourite ever songs on it (by anyone). It should be fairly easy to track down.

I might buy Mick a copy.

Alex -- It's very easy to track down via the link on the previous page :)

I can also higlhy recommend the Billy's "Che Cooper" t-shirt for Mick. One of my favourites:

che_cooper_front.jpg

Available here

All the Sibelius Symphonies: Osmo Vanska conducting the Lahti Symphony Orchestra. Top-class interpretations and excellent, atmospheric recordings. I might have to go and put on a pullover.

That'll teach me for skim reading.

As I sit here with the cricket burbling away, I am tickled by the thought of Mick and Mrs Mick sitting in their Shackletons easy chairs with a glass of Chateau La Bourgoiesie singing along to 'There Is Power In A Union'.

I for one will stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Mick and heartily sing along with the following:

The sin of property
We do disdain
No one has any right to buy and sell
The earth for private gain
By theft and murder
They took the land
Now everywhere the walls
Rise up at their command

They make the laws
To chain us well
The clergy dazzle us with heaven
Or they damn us into hell
We will not worship
The God they serve
The God of greed who feeds the rich
While poor men starve

We work, we eat together
We need no swords
We will not bow to masters
Or pay rent to the lords
We are free men
Though we are poor
You Diggers all stand up for glory
Stand up now

From the men of property
The orders came
They sent the hired men and troopers
To wipe out the Diggers' claim
Tear down their cottages
Destroy their corn
They were dispersed
But still the vision lingers on

You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
Al people one
We come in peace -
The order came to cut them down

Was:
Editors - The Back Room (Kichenware Recs./Sony)
Awesome retro wave pop
Cevin Fisher - (You got me) Burning up (TommyBoy TB348, 12")

Is:
GusGus - Attention (Underwater Recs.)

Will be:
Our foreign minister, giving a speech downtown at seven; elections are ahead.

Jamie Saft Trio, Astaroth. John Zorn has recently written a bunch of new Masada tunes, and Tzadik is releasing a series of CDs featuring various groups playing them. This piano trio is the first, with Masada's Greg Cohen on bass and Ben Perowsky on drums (great drummer, currently also in Uri Caine's trio). Fast, percussive, extremely well played, this is a good 'un, not too dissimilar in feel to Uri Caine's own trio recordings.

http://www.tzadik.com/volume.php?VolumeID=392

-- Ian

My new XPS :).
I only got a brief listen as it's kids bedtime.
First spins were Rush - Moving Pictures, Tim Finn - Here and After, Crowded House - Temple of Low Men.

XTC - Black Sea.

Greg Brown - Slant 6 mind.

Both have been on my rekkid list for many, many years. Found them both during a lunchtime rekkid-shopping expedition yesterday.

Ronnie Dove - Sings the Hits for You

An old timey crooner (think Vegas circa '62) from the Wayne Newton school. He's as cheesy as they get. Go ahead and make fun... it's a sentimental favorite. My mom used to play this (and Ray Charles records) when she did her Saturday housecleaning.

Just finished listening to Ravi Shankar's Raga Jogeshwari, a recent find. Split into four sections (Alap, Jor, Gat I & II) the music begins very slowly with some seriously long twangy low notes on sitar gradually gaining momentum over sections one and two, increasing with the addition of tabla on three leading to full improv on four. According to the sleeve note "No satisfactory notation system exists; yet the musuc has come down to us from ancient texts, by legend, by ear, and by demonstration by teachers known as gurus". Amazing stuff, probably the complete antithesis of Ian's Electric Ascension.

dave

Late LAst Night: Anthony Braxton: For Alto
This am, while running: Wilco - A Ghost is Born
Now: soundbites on Amazon -
1) William Parker, Sound Unity - think I need to buy this
2) Marc Ribot: Spiritual Unity - think I need to buy this

I think I need more money!

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back