advertisement

What are you listening to right now? #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original vinyl—with it's suitably Burroughs-ian cover.

Funky.

Stephen

51MErwwTDTL._SX355_.jpg

Bought 4 new CDs (silver, disc-shaped things approx. 5in diameter ;)) the other weekend after a thoroughly enjoyable browse through a proper record shop I used to frequent in my days working in Manchester

Steve Mason - Meet The Humans
Julia Holter - Have you in my wilderness
The The - 45rpm singles
The The - The Soul Mining

Kosmischer Laufer Volume 1.
Allegedly music from the East German Olympic training scheme (yeah, right).

I wonder how many who have dismissed Yes' more 'progressive' albums have hears this debut?

It's jazzy and folky in parts and it has some hints to the future direction of the band, but Anderson's voice is lovely and fragile and Banks' jazzy guitar very different from Steve Howe's. Kaye's organ is sublime and it's all held together by Squire and Bruford's tight rhythm partnership.

Stephen

Yes_-_Yes.jpg

I wonder how many who have dismissed Yes' more 'progressive' albums have hears this debut?

It's jazzy and folky in parts and it has some hints to the future direction of the band, but Anderson's voice is lovely and fragile and Banks' jazzy guitar very different from Steve Howe's. Kaye's organ is sublime and it's all held together by Squire and Bruford's tight rhythm partnership.

Stephen

Yes_-_Yes.jpg

I prefer the Banks / Kaye / Bruford era of Yes because it has the right balance of technical virtuosity and 'grit' - they're not afraid to make a bit of noise. It also lacks the total up-themselves-ness of "Topographic Oceans" or "Close to the Edge",

Johnny Cash - Orange Blossom Special

BTW Seeker_UK, thanks for the pointer to Jan Garbarek's "Dresden", some amazing musicianship.

Unloved - Guilty Of Love, David Holmes' new band with Keefus Ciancia and Jade Vincent.
More than a touch of Shadow Morton about it

Unloved - Guilty Of Love, David Holmes' new band with Keefus Ciancia and Jade Vincent.
More than a touch of Shadow Morton about it
Really enjoying this; and the second CD if you buy it from Rough Trade is well worth it (any CD with a track named after Raymond Scott is OK with me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back