advertisement

What are you listening to right now # 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now: Reggiani - Cent loups sont entrés dans Paris. Pour de vrai. I still don't get the "Charmante Elvira" allusion. It must be more specific than a general reference to collabos. Colibris?

Joel,
Don't know the song. Looked up the lyrics and a few sites and while everybody seems to agree it is about the WW2 occupation, no one has a clue about Charmante Elvire. She seems to exist primarily to rhyme with "rire", plus maybe provide the romantic interest (no romantic interest, no chanson). Collabo Elvire? Maybe somebody who just went with the flow.
I think she is just a device, somebody he can tell what to do. Cessez de rire = things are tough; j'aime ton rire: love, friendship etc. have returned, all clear; etc.

I think she is just a device, somebody he can tell what to do. Cessez de rire = things are tough; j'aime ton rire: love, friendship etc. have returned, all clear; etc.
It's just the emphasis Reggiani gives to charmante Elvire, that makes me wonder if there's a specific back story in there somewhere. Reggiani was of that generation, too... But as you say, probably just a metrical device.
Occasionally there are things that stick out and seem to ring a bell, like Barbara's Gottingen, but in almost all cases it's not the interpretor as much as the interpretation.
Now playing:
Kurdish Music on Philips "UNESCO Musical Sources" series. Excellent album of free imrov bagpipe noise terror. Only it isn't...

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
This lunchtime while picking up some gig tickets from the local record shop I saw this on vinyl - new - as a double album for £11.99. I couldn't resist.
I've been playing it on CD for ever, but now I can't wait to get it home.
I wonder if I'll ever grow up?

The Doors - L.A. Woman

Bought this and their first on Rhino. Very well done!

Besting all previous reissues, these Rhino LPs offer the ultimate Doors listening experience. The band's music has never sounded better, thanks to the use of the original masters cut under the supervision of original Doors producer Bruce Botnick and Elektra founder Jac Holtzman.

What a great new compliation (2CD) with most of my favourites from the late 70s-80s.

£5.98 for 36 tracks from Amazon UK too - a great birthday present from Mrs Bagga. There are a few live tracks thrown in too and I am liking the acoustic version of Big Love!

Disc: 1
1. Monday Morning
2. Dreams
3. You Make Loving Fun
4. Go Your Own Way
5. Rhiannon
6. Say You Love Me
7. I'm So Afraid (live, 1997)
8. Silver Springs
9. Over My Head
10. Never Going Back Again
11. Sara