advertisement

What are you listening to right now #15?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny Cash, A Hundred Highways.

The most consistent and moving of the American recordings? I've got a lump in me throat.

Excellent! I've just ordered this for my daughter, who is prone to wearing t-shirts with superhero capes at the moment. She's err, 15.

Hope she lets me listen to it - sounds good from the samples.

i heard a song on the radio here, it sounded pretty dodgy to me, a poppier misappropriation of late 90s american indie/emo (the get up kids / braid), a bit of death cab for cutie (or something), and some annoying lyrics.

Just been listening to some King Oliver in the Car on the way into work...one of those re-mastered de-noised CD's (err...can't remember the name, however I digress)...absolutely great jazz from the early years of the 20C...a lost world, a lost world.

Paul

i heard a song on the radio here, it sounded pretty dodgy to me, a poppier misappropriation of late 90s american indie/emo (the get up kids / braid), a bit of death cab for cutie (or something), and some annoying lyrics.

Yeah, I got DCFC from it too, but that's her fave band, so she may like it. Then again, she's 15. There's really no predicting.

Now playing: Allman Bros. - Live at the Fillmore East (disc 2)

Dickey Betts is a severely underrated guitarist.

The Black Madonna

No, just pilgrim songs from Montserrat - made me think of Paul Duerden who doesn't post here anymore.

The Best of Muddy Waters on the Speakers Corner label. I have another 70's GRP repressing of this but the Speakers Corner pressing is realllllly nice.

I've been getting into buying audiophile repressings of late. 4mwb, Sundazed, Speakers Corner and Classic. Bloody expensive though.

Peter

Hi Jonathan

I have the LP but on the Discovery Sound label and not on Classic. It's also a nice pressing on 140gr vinyl which Discovery claim to be better. It was mastered in Germany on tubes and then cut at Abbey Road. I can recommend it but I'm sure the Classic is also wonderful if not better.

Peter

Peter

Sounds good enough! Wonderful record. The first time Muddy goes from whisper-to-yell all the hairs stand up of the back of my head.. ..well - if I haven't shaved my head for a few days!

Jonathan

Sounds good enough! Wonderful record. The first time Muddy goes from whisper-to-yell all the hairs stand up of the back of my head.. ..well - if I haven't shaved my head for a few days!

I recall jumping out of my seat the first time I heard Muddy doing that - a reel-to-reel tape recording via a Quad ELS ifmemory serves (it was more than 30 years ago though!)

The Jazz Messengers at the Cafe Bohemia Vol 1

Lessee... Horace Silver, Hank Mobley, Art Blakey, Kenny Dorham... oh and Doug Watkins... You really don't get 50s post-bop any better than this.

(Makes mental note to track down a copy of Vol 2)

Barenaked Ladies - Barenaked Ladies Are Me

This is the "deluxe" 2-disc set, which is one full disc of material longer than the regular version. Good so far; the second song describes a bank heist foiled by the mere presence of a lobby full of nuns.

Also available on USB thumb drive:

bnlnv3.jpg

which is a first – at least it's the first time I've ever seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back