advertisement

What are you listening to right now #10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(over here)

Well a lot of good that does me! A quick check of Insound, and it's not listed in their upcoming releases. You will have to let me know if it's any good.

Speaking of new releases, I see Caribou and Beth Orton are bringing out new ones.

rod said:
Hi Andy,

Been listening to Rachel's Systems / Layers recently and it's a fine album. I guess this is taking post-rock off in a different direction to the artists I have been listening to of late. It has a kind of soundtrack feel to it, and by that I mean literally, through their field recordings and strings, and not by a collection of cash-cow songs. Thought provoking.

I am looking forward to checking out some of their back catalogue. Thanks for the tip.

awesome!

there is some good music on this label:

http://www.typerecords.com/releases/

that might be up your alley too - they definitely have that similar soundtrack feeling anyway. i have picked up the albums by deaf centre and julien neto in the past few days and both seem quite excellent (although i have onyl had the chance to listen to one side of deaf center's 'pale ravine' so far).

This morning so far:

Mingus, Ah Um
Braxton - For Alto (bits of)
Thelonius Monk - Thelonius Himself
and now ... Miles Davis - Live at the Plugged Nickel (side 3 of the 2LP set)

I'm having (another) Rod inspired session:

Was : Mono - Walking Cloud And Deep Red Sky, Flag Fluttered And The Sun Shined
Is : Mono - One More Step And You Die
Will be : not sure, but the odds favour Arctic Monkeys.

Ho-ho!

How is One More Step and You Die? I'm thinking of another cd buying splurge, but may hold off to see what Tony gets up to. I also have a pile of vinyl that arrived from said gentleman yesterday, and a few cds that I haven't quite got to yet.

Your enthusiasm for t'Monkeys is infectious, I shall have to get a listen to something of theirs. I probably also need to get the finger out and send you something.

Currently chilling to another Kranky gem:

Growing - The Sky's Run Into The Sea

Kranky site

One More Step is more 'trad' post rock - more guitars and drums and feedback - than the strings infected 'Walking Cloud'.

It's first play for them both, and I'm a sucker for the whole genre. I prefer the strings, I think, but both excellent.

I also got Under The Pipal Tree, which is unplayed so far.

Kranky's output is superb.

AlexG said:
Dan - can't one of your UK connections source one for you?

Yep, though I'll probably wait 'til my next visit.

now: having a quiet morning until the coffee kicks in.

Sounds good, I should just get these. I think Caiman have them for a reasonable price. I ordered the split album with World's End Girlfriend from Play-Asia.com, so hopefully that will be here soon.

Regarding Kranky, we really should have a thread for this label. I haven't come accross a duffer yet! I have still loads to hear from this label, but my current fave is Jessamine's The Long Arm of Coincidence. I have heard some great stuff over the last year, but this one has really got it's claws into me. I see Dawn Smithson has an album out - Safer Here - but I wish she could just get the band back together!

Lambchop - Is A Woman

ever excellent.

Babylon Zoo - The Boy With The X-Ray Eyes

I think P mentioned this recently which prompted me to play it. This is such an under-rated album. Nearly ten years old but sound like it could have been released yesterday.

Now on to (wait for it) another Kranky release:

Christmas Decorations - Model 91

Edited to say that there are some seriously odd tracks on this album - Orange Suit, Lowland's and Hens Teeth! Good album though...

< Zanzibara 2 - 1965-1975, Golden years of Mombasa taarab The second superb album in what is what is in danger of becoming the crucial series from Buda. Rod, are you reading this...
> Tresors de la musique algerienne - my favourite (OK, my only) compi of classic Chaabi hits from the 50s and 60s.
>> Congotronics 2 - Gave this a quick listen last night. I suspect that this series is ehading in the opposite direction to the Taarab series from Buda. A little too self-consciously wannabe for its own good. Congolese music doesn't need updating or altering for euro tastes: As one of the cultural treasures of the world it needs to be documented and recorded (and above all given an environment in which it can prosper).
>>> Thione Seck - Orientation Another take on the Egypte thing. Afro-Indian fusion with a sufi edge, but badly over-produced - a continuing problem at the moment it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back