advertisement

What are you cooking tonight?

The mobiles frites were indeed great and the waffle was light and fluffy. And so, other than chocolate, that was the limit of our Belgian food experience.
You missed a treat. One of their specialities is "Anguilles au Vert" which is eels in a spinach puree. I like eels and I'm pretty adventurous with food but even I wasn't brave enough to try it.

Last edited:
Just making a hamshank soup lentils barley looks like wild birdseed diced turnip carrots leeks. This should get my fathers bowels sorted. First attempt at making it.

I don't cook much apart from eggs, pasta and fish but I've started making vegetable stews. Chop up onions, celery and carrots very small and brown them in a big stew pan with extra virgin olive oil and a variety of herbs and spices. And then add whatever you like for the vegetables - either go Moroccan with tomato puree or stick with potatoes, leaks and carrots with a vegetable stock. Lasts for days.

red rice and roasted chicken and salad, will not bother putting my plate in, but will have to chew on one side of an open gob, happy

Good salad for lunch, tin of tuna, avocado, tomatoes, a medium onion, celery, rocket, grated courgette and carrot and a big chunk of pineapple, seasoned with a big dollop of grainy mustard and a tablespoon of balsamic.

Not so healthy cote de boeuf tonight, just deciding whether to sear first or last.

Last night we had a large chick pea salad with red onion, celery, roasted red pepper, tomatoes, lemon, parsley, dill and mint along with cod loin rolled in semolina and flash fried then baked to finish.
It was delicious.

Not so healthy cote de boeuf
Why not so healthy ? If the animal was properly kept and fed, a côte de boeuf can be perfectly healthy. As long as the portions served are reasonable, and the meat cooked properly.

I don’t get the current tendency to declare meat universally unhealthy. Ethics are a topic, but feeling guilty while eating an animal won’t make it come alive again. Better buy far less meat, enjoy some once or twice a week, and accept to pay a lot more for good quality. Nothing unhealthy there.

Why not so healthy ? If the animal was properly kept and fed, a côte de boeuf can be perfectly healthy. As long as the portions served are reasonable, and the meat cooked properly.

I don’t get the current tendency to declare meat universally unhealthy. Ethics are a topic, but feeling guilty while eating an animal won’t make it come alive again. Better buy far less meat, enjoy some once or twice a week, and accept to pay a lot more for good quality. Nothing unhealthy there.

Thanks!

It was locally sourced, good beef is a treat and this was good and tasted great.

At local butcher prices meat every day isn't an option.

advertisement

Back