advertisement

What are you cooking tonight?

Beef mince chilli (part 2 from the freezer). We always cook double and freeze half. Always a bit better for part 2, seems to mature a bit in the freezer.

A pile of basmati, grated cheddar on top, glass of wine...(Chardonnay for me, red mostly gives me a headache next day, Shiraz for Mrs Jamie).

bowl of instant mash with added butter, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Salmon linguine:

5-F7-F224-A-7-FFE-4-D84-A9-B0-7915-E33-A9800.jpg

Mine was quite boring and not really filling. Gonna make a few grated cheddar sliced onion sammijs in a bit.

My missus has grown some scotch bonnet chilies in the garden alongside some tamer varieties. Anybody got experience of using these in recipes - I know they are supposed to be not far off weapons grade so am a bit wary....

My missus has grown some scotch bonnet chilies in the garden alongside some tamer varieties. Anybody got experience of using these in recipes - I know they are supposed to be not far off weapons grade so am a bit wary....
Yes, guidance is to use part of one in the dish, then taste it. Not enough? Add more. Rather hot? Fish out the remaining piece and bin it. You can of course make chutneys, pickles, to varying degrees of savagery.

My experience with chilies and chili powder is that they often operate insidiously, taking some time before they release their full potential, with the effect that you overchili your dish until it reaches Indian foodstall level. To circumvent this, I have resorted to diluting chili powder in water say half an hour before I use it. Not sure it speeds up the process, but it makes dosing easier. As for your bonnet chilies, I would first of all remove the interior and dilute them in water with a hand blender before adding it drop by drop to your meal.

By the way, on youtube you can find a Jamie Oliver recipe of handmade chili sauce, with apple vinegar. I have tried it, it’s indeed totally addictive and is certainly a great addition to many recipes. Except that here it’s usually sipped before it ever reaches a meal :confused:

scotch bonnet

certainly, if you’re a ‘face toucher’ as many are, perhaps have a pack of nitrile gloves from Screwfix or similar for cutting them up so you can remove and bin the seeds then, as has been suggested, work your way up on quantity. While the dish is cooking, you’ll be able to rub the corner of your eye, pick your nose, bite your nails etc. without running screaming to the cold water tap.

Scotch bonnets, lovely, my favourite chillies, I remove the stem and put one right in the blender with the toms, any stock or seasonings and blitz, no need to touch, as for the heat? yes it's hot, but not insane, they are different shop to shop as well, some much hotter than others, I'm finding them a bit milder just now in comparison to earlier in the year.

scotch bonnets are nice and fruity. Hot but not mad hot. If I've got any I usually put one in my multi-chilli (often 12 or 13) chilli.

20210509_110711 by uh_simon, on Flickr

If you want hot California Reaper or Naga is the place to be. I do use these in my chilli occasionally - but they go in whole in a muslin bag.....I taste regularly and remove when hot enough

Gordon Ramsey demonstrates a good dish of (real) orzo and it’s very nice if you enjoy risotto - a bit of an earthier flavour but so cheap, especially given the low price of pearl barley (except the stuff in delis bagged as ‘orzo’ and priced around £4).

advertisement

Back