advertisement

What are you cooking tonight?

feed a cold, starve a fever.

My mum always said that. It’s bollocks.

I don’t think it is “bollocks.”

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20131203-feed-a-cold-starve-a-fever

If you have a ‘fever,’ or something akin to a virus causing a high temperature, the last thing one feels like is food. Also your body is creating an internal environment in a reaction to an infection, the principal being that the causative factor will be weakened by the raised temperature.
I think it is natural to lose one’s appetite with a fever. Not so with a cold.

(note: taking fluids is recommended either way)

Unless I'm so ill I can't keep anything down (or in...) I always seem to stuff my face when I'm unwell.

Partly I think to keep my strength up and partly to cheer myself up. No doubt members with greater medical insight will tell me that copious quantities of pizza and lager aren't ideal but I find it does the trick as often as not.

Unless I'm so ill I can't keep anything down (or in...) I always seem to stuff my face when I'm unwell.

Partly I think to keep my strength up and partly to cheer myself up. No doubt members with greater medical insight will tell me that copious quantities of pizza and lager aren't ideal but I find it does the trick as often as not.
If you're sick, pizza and lager is just fine. As I said recently to a friend who's just recovering from cancer and subsequent treatment but is concerned about now being unfit and overweight : "That's OK. First get well, then get your weight and fitness where you want them". Said friend is now in Greece with another friend celebrating being well. I hope that a lot of food and wine is involved, when she gets back she can get back on the wagon. Our mutual friend does this most of the year, she's worked out that beyond 50 a sportsperson has to work on their diet most weeks of the year.

Cold kitchen. Sourdough always fails. Purchased commercial sourdough mix.

As per usual, hand slow ground my own maslin: it's a mixture of whole organic grains. Roughly ground with some Doves Farm spelt to get well ground floor.

Instructions suspect. I opted to let dough rise in cold kitchen for almost a week. Then it smelt good.

Baked this morning. Have not decided on menu- or if it's not just sourdough masin loaf.

No excuse for no photo except 'no menu'. Sorry.

last night - beef in red wine, anchovy scones and some dark greens

20220925-184310.jpg

Yesterday I made the best hommus ever. It takes some time to do properly, but meanwhile I am rather good at it, so it is rewarding. The key is 1) how you roast the sesame seeds and 2) the amount of lemon juice. Oh and the olive oil on top of course.

Yesterday I made the best hommus ever. It takes some time to do properly, but meanwhile I am rather good at it, so it is rewarding. The key is 1) how you roast the sesame seeds and 2) the amount of lemon juice. Oh and the olive oil on top of course.

It takes us 5 minutes to make a bowl of hummus. Dark roast tahini (roast sesame seed paste) rather than farting aboot with roasting our own seeds (!)
Got hold of some Black tahini to try next.

What's the recipe thanks.

I precook mostly then microwave. Typical would be homemade pork stock with a lot of aromatics/chilly. Into this thick rice noddles,kale,spinach,cabbage,belly-pork,roasted tomatoes,variety of roasted seeds and a topping of finely shredded leek cooked in butter.
I typically have a homemade curry sauce in the fridge, mostly for fish. This Is good either as is or add coconut or tomatoes
Ok with the kidney/mushrooms too.

It takes us 5 minutes to make a bowl of hummus. Dark roast tahini (roast sesame seed paste) rather than farting aboot with roasting our own seeds (!)
Got hold of some Black tahini to try next.
Ditto. Always needs more lemon and tahini than you think and smoked paprika is a nice, if unconventional, touch.

Supermarket chicken cooked in a chicken brick with lemon and tarragon. Served with sprouts and greek chips.

I'd have been quite happy with just the Chips and gravy (juice from the chicken brick with a teaspoon of redcurrant jelly and a stock cube), though.

Baked beans on toast with a dash of worcester sauce, Mondays always been a quick snack meal. Eat really well most weekends.

Ditto. Always needs more lemon and tahini than you think and smoked paprika is a nice, if unconventional, touch.

yar, I am a smoked paprika slut- love the stuff.

We make loads of variations, depends what is hanging about in the fridge.
- charred sweet red pepper chopped and mixed into the hummus was really nice a week or so ago. Better finely chopped rather than blitzed I reckon.
Smoked garlic is very nice in hummus as well.

tinned tomato soup with buttered soft white bread - my go to poorly food from as far back as I can recall.

advertisement

Back