advertisement

What are the world's best speakers to bring the philharmonic into your living room?

I have a feeling that they would have to be BIG. What about James' big 3-ways? In my experience, what gives a feeling of scale is strong, effortless bass.

Here are the Martin Logan Montis, $10K USD.

martin_logan_Montis_zps4c7966eb.jpg

So my question is. What are the world's best speakers to bring Beethoven, Mahler and Bruckner into your living room? Not just the dynamics but also the warmth and breadth that symphonic music takes in real life.
I have been to hundreds of concerts and tons of rehearsals and must say that the sound changes quite a lot depending from where you sit, which orchestra is playing, in which hall you are and other stuff. Just limiting the sound to dynamics, warmth, breadth is simply poor.
Not all sound characteristics in concerts halls are viewed in a positive way for hifi listeners and recordings are biasing the original sound in the hall. A typical example is when soloists are recorded much louder and clearer (microphones much nearer) than the rest of the members of the orchestra.

Best speakers to bring orchestral music into your living room? it is mainly a subjective taste depending on many factors some nothing to do with the personal experience in the concert hall.

James who?
I thought I was (in)famous enough here, but clearly not.

Lou, your question needs to be contextualised with the size and construction of your living room in which you want the ultimate in performance. If you have a small one (snigger), then a 10-12" based 3-way system with a couple hundred of proper watts should do.

For bigger rooms, the active ATCs (150 and up) would be where I'd put my money - if I didn't know how to design and build my own.

I don't believe any speakers are designed for any specific music - how could they be any more than amps can be so designed?

They may not be 'designed for', but judging from what I read they are mostly evaluated with pop/folk/jazz music.

- Richard.

PS: FWIW a friend has ML Summits that sound superb, and my Quad 2805s are not bad either.

I am going for classical concerts sometimes even few times in a week. If you have experienced New Yorker Philharmonic orchestra or any other major orchestra playing big symphonic works, than IMHO there is only one conclusion - even the most expensive, best high end system is crap.

I am going for classical concerts sometimes even few times in a week. If you have experienced New Yorker Philharmonic orchestra or any other major orchestra playing big symphonic works, than IMHO there is only one conclusion - even the most expensive, best high end system is crap.
I do not agree. Why do you believe they are crap?

I have been to hundreds of concerts and tons of rehearsals and must say that the sound changes quite a lot depending from where you sit, which orchestra is playing, in which hall you are and other stuff. Just limiting the sound to dynamics, warmth, breadth is simply poor.
Not all sound characteristics in concerts halls are viewed in a positive way for hifi listeners and recordings are biasing the original sound in the hall. A typical example is when soloists are recorded much louder and clearer (microphones much nearer) than the rest of the members of the orchestra.

Best speakers to bring orchestral music into your living room? it is mainly a subjective taste depending on many factors some nothing to do with the personal experience in the concert hall.

When I lived in Montreal my wife and I would go to hear the Montreal Symphony Orchestra play in a huge cathedral. We sat in the cheap seats way up in a balcony and from there the sound was stunning as was the MSO. Something I aspire to recreate at home.

Louballoo

How about a pair of these?

8ynubypa.jpg

I heard them at the Sydney hi-fi show and it was like each instrument had it own driver.

IIRC they took out best in show and there were plenty of exhibitors from most of the usual suspects. I personally really liked how they sounded, maybe it was a trick. Going from this room to naims room running their top flight was like listening to a crystal radio. Apologies for going off the op request. Anyway at 180k for the system I didn't place an order.

When I lived in Montreal my wife and I would go to hear the Montreal Symphony Orchestra play in a huge cathedral. We sat in the cheap seats way up in a balcony and from there the sound was stunning as was the MSO. Something I aspire to recreate at home.

Louballoo

Looballoo, I'm afraid tomek is right here. There is no way you could reproduce a symphonic orchestra in your home. I have heard a few performances of the MSO with Charles Dutoit at "La Place des Arts" and I have never heard any loudspeakers that can even half reproduce live sound. For the closest approach I suggest that you try the largest loudspeakers that could fit in your listening room.

advertisement

Back