advertisement

What are the world's best speakers to bring the philharmonic into your living room?

Maybe... but given that low frequencies are not directional, before parting with my cash I would ask the sales person to play them with *one* “bass tower” positioned in the middle, well away from the omnidirectional drivers.

(Something tells me that my available cash does not extend to these leviathans... and I wouldn’t want them in my house, anyway!)

You're just scared the MBLs would take over the decor...and then the planet. :eek:

Yes the Grahams are a contender. On the Quads I am/have considered larger ones but would only buy a just done pair from OTA or Quad probably 989's. As @G T Audio
advises the reliability appears to be a problem with the larger ones. A few guys have them here and they seem to work fine for them but the ideal of paying £2.5-3k for a pair with unknown life left on the panels is a non-runner for me. I think done 63's maybe Pro upgrade from OTA are best bang for buck if buying 'new'

As has been discussed on other threads how Quad have not come up with a user replacement panel design is bonkers. All other perishable parts should also be designed at this point to be slot in replacement.

If you can live with the massive bulk the Gradient subs would be a worthy improvement.
I spent a whole day listening to this combo years ago and it was a memorable experience.

Hook,

You're just scared the MBLs would take over the decor...and then the planet. :eek:

I knew the flagship MBLs were expensive, but I had no idea just how expensive until now.

XP4EuFJ.png

I think it's fair to say that I will never have to worry about them matching my decor as much as I would love to have three pulsating spheres in my home.

Joe

Well that was my point. Two of the rooms had Yamaha 02R consoles, which in the world of digital consoles are ancient history.

Was it the orchestra control rooms?

Many orchestras nowadays record and publish/sell a few of performances but perhaps owning the latest gear isn't in their priority list as it's not their core business.

Why? Are those Yamahas lower-fi or just limited in what they can do?

Was it the orchestra control rooms?

Many orchestras nowadays record and publish/sell a few of performances but perhaps owning the latest gear isn't in their priority list as it's not their core business.

But they've spent big on acoustic treatments and monitor rigs, why stop there?

Why? Are those Yamahas lower-fi or just limited in what they can do?

It's a product with origins in the first decade of this century, as we prepare to enter the third.

There's no such thing as "vintage" digital pro audio.

Last edited:
Hook,

I knew the flagship MBLs were expensive, but I had no idea just how expensive until now.

XP4EuFJ.png

I think it's fair to say that I will never have to worry about them matching my decor as much as I would love to have pulsating spheres in my home.

Joe

Try the 101e mk2’s. Much more...erm.....affordable at 56k. I bought mine used at a more acceptable price.

Colin,

I wish. My Tannoy GRFs cost me about as much as a pair of P3ESRs, the smallest of the Harbeths. That's where I'm at financially.

Joe

If after something vintage, I remember hearing the Kef Ref 107/2 s playing Also Strachey Zarathustra. They were very impressive and made an impression.Not sure about how easy they are to get now but worth a shout I think.

The 107/2 like most full range speakers are horribly room dependent. I remember not being able to get good results from them in our 3 dem rooms and ended up using my home for dems.

The omni vs. conventional multi-driver vs. dipole argument is always interesting. I spent a lot of time with Shahinian Obelisks in the past and came to the conclusion that I liked them but they weren’t for me. I’ve also heard some of the large MBLs at shows, and they are seriously impressive, but again probably not for me. Part of my problem is that I know *exactly* how stuff gets onto a record or a CD. I’ve spent a lot of time in recording studios, even co-ran a very little one for a while. I fully grasp that we are dealing with mic feeds, panning, FX etc here, not some mythical recreation of an orchestra in a concert hall or whatever, and in a way I’ve been crippled by that knowledge. As such a long while ago I decided that a classic studio monitoring rig, both full-range and near-field, was my best compromise. For me the ‘real’ is the sound in the control room, that is the only attainable goal. If you are listening to those highly prised Decca SXLs, classic UK rock albums etc that is most likely a pair of 15” Tannoys driven by a Quad power amp, for classic Blue Notes and early Beatles albums it is Altec 604s. I also have a pair of JR149s, but think of them as standing in for LS3/5As, a classic near-field. I’m perfectly happy with these two perspectives to cross-reference, and I suspect between them I get very close to hearing a lot of music as it was created, as it was intended to be heard.

The better omni kit I’ve heard does a remarkably good job of presenting a live band, ensemble, orchestra or whatever in the room, and I totally understand why many view it as preferential to a more conventional system. I never fund orchestral music sounds truly convincing on conventional kit, even via the giant Tannoys so much of it was recorded through as a reference. Orchestral music in a concert hall is an omni-directional experience, so effectively adding that impression as an ‘effect’ via omnidirectional speakers is fully understandable and I’d not knock people with such systems. It sounds great and is a perfectly legitimate end goal IMO given the inherent limitations of recorded sound. I would however never want to monitor or mix on Shahinians or MBLs, they just aren’t suited to it IMHO.

PS Panels/dipoles are a whole other thing too, and I’m a big fan of them too.

Johan, if you read the review I linked to it talks about the precedence effect, a well established acoustic principle, around which the MBL’s are designed. As Camverton said, when placed correctly MBLs localise sound sources very well and my big 101’s do so too, but the sound field produced is more enveloping and akin to what you hear listening to live music than the spot-miked pinpoint placement of conventional speakers. Personally I want to hear the acoustics of the recording space, not the acoustics of the listening room.

I don't think my post contradicts what you say. The precedence effect is well known, but it works with most speakers, as long as there is a long enough delay from the direct sound and the first reflected one. Then to avoid hearing the acustics of the listening room as much as possible, the reflected sounds should be diffuse.

There is, though, speakers that have a diffuse direct sound! This is omnis placed up against the rear wall, like the older Sonab/Carlsson designs. With these the direct sound will imeditially be followed by the refected sounds from the rear wall. In later years Stig Carlsson corrected himself with the OA5x series which produced direct sound follwed by a delayed diffuse sound.

Provided absolute volume isn't a key parameter, I'd fancy a pair of Magneplanars. They seem to get the energy into a room in a way rather different to a conventional pistonic driver. A bit like the Quads, at a guess, but with better bass and more impact.
Provided absolute volume isn't a key parameter, I'd fancy a pair of Magneplanars. They seem to get the energy into a room in a way rather different to a conventional pistonic driver. A bit like the Quads, at a guess, but with better bass and more impact.

Volume is an important component of orchestral music, unless you enjoy listening from the lobby.

Very interesting thread, nice to see some Omni love here too, as it certainly seems to be a very small percentage of listeners that own them. I have been in the Omni camp for a long time myself, and while I don’t think I could see myself not owning them, it also does not make it impossible for me to enjoy a well setup pair of traditional box speaker or a panel speaker. They all have their virtues or downfalls and compromises of sorts. It just comes down to which ones you can live with and what you value most I think.

Most classical music labels' mixing and mastering suites, and most orchestra's control rooms use different iterations of B&W 800s, 801s and 802s.

BIS Records

Polyhymnia International (former Philips Classics)

Emil Berliner Studios

EMI Abbey Road Studios

Boston Symphony Orchestra hall

Chicago Symphony Orchestra hall

Münchner Philharmoniker Gasteig

Many thanks, tuga - as a B&W owner I wanted to get back to you to ask where these pictures have been taken, but I saw that you already updated your post in that regard.

Here's an image from Zurich in the makeshift recording studio at Tonhalle Maag (the provisional location, until the proper Tonhalle has finished renovations) - B&W 803 or 804 D2, it seems to me:

7Z4gaO5MK1A8Bzl03LYpty.jpg

And here's an image from Jan Erik Kongshaug's Rainbow Studios (Oslo), where a lot of ECM recordings were/are made, as you may know:

rainbow_speakers-crop-u3782_2x.jpg

advertisement

Back